One of the greatest negotiations I've made in my life had absolutely nothing to do with buying a house. Before I get into the details I want to put a disclaimer out. This post is for all of the fellas who may have recently purchased a house with their wife or significant other. You both are excited and full of energy to turn that new house that you just purchased into a home. You have the big yard and garage space that you always wanted and she has that amazing walk in closet and kitchen that she always wanted. Both of your smiles are wide and as bright as a drive in movie screen. Welcome to the neighborhood and fellas shortly you'll be getting welcomed to something you may not have expected. The infamous HONEY DO LIST.
What Is A Honey Do List?
A honey do list is going to be filled with tasks that you will be expected to complete over a short period of time. Don't ever get tricked into thinking that you have an infinite amount of time to complete this list. Think back to the time when you were in school and only had a certain amount of time to complete that algebra test. Now subtract 42 1/2 % from that and you'll have your time frame to get that list completed.
The list could have tasks such as:
- Mow the lawn
- Scrape the popcorn off the ceilings and make them flat
- Replace all of the knobs on the kitchen cabinets
- Re-brick the fireplace
- Wash the cars
- Keep the kitchen clean
- Clean the bathrooms
Let's focus in on those last two items on that list as I bring you back to the beginning of the post. Recently I was in a situation where I had to decide if I wanted the weekly task of keeping the kitchen clean or the bathrooms. In my mind it was a no brainer which one I would be selecting. Without hesitating I chose to take bathroom duties. That may not sound like the best choice but let me explain in case you are faced with making the same decision.
Without me typing another word the picture above alone should make your decision an easy one. Let's go over some of the pro's and con's of the situation above and see if you agree fellas.
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Dishes: At a minimum you and your mate will be eating 2 meals at home 5 days a week. If both of you are going to work every day we can eliminate the lunch dishes from the equation. Don't get too happy about that though because those weekend dishes are coming full steam ahead to take lunches place.
- Double Everything: Get ready for double cups, forks, knives, spoons, plates and bowls for each meal. And check this out. I'm only writing this in the case of their only being two people in the household. Imagine if you have kids or relatives living with you. Imagine how that sink and countertop will look everyday.
- It Take Pot's And Pans To Execute A Meal Plan: Self explanatory and more things to wash or throw in the dishwasher.
- Dishwasher: If you have a dishwasher then you can cut down on some of the cleaning you will have to do on a daily basis. Load that bad boy up until you can't fit another item in it and you're good to go.
Bathroom duties are a piece of cake and let me explain why. The pro's are simple and plain and not hard to explain.
- One Sink/Countertop
- One Toilet
- One Tub/Shower
That's all you have to clean. Fellas do you see how short that list is compared to the kitchen duty list? Depending on the size of your bathroom, 10-15 minutes tops and you're done cleaning the bathroom. Unlike keeping the kitchen clean, there should never be too many times where you have to clean up the bathroom multiple times in a day.
- You will have to clean the toilet. That's not everyone's cup of tea I know but it shouldn't sway your decision.
Which Path Are You Choosing?
So which path will you be choosing if you're ever faced with making the same decision that I had to do? Will it be bathroom chores or kitchen chores? No matter what, those are just two of the honey do's on that long list that you will be given to complete. To be fair and honest, in the end as you knock off tasks on that list you will feel a sense of accomplishment. Completing honey do lists is what turns a blank canvas house into a warm, vibrant and cozy home that everyone will enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this weeks posts and until next time be safe, wash those hands and have a great week. I'm Out.............