With bone-chilling days ahead, here's a few resources to keep you warm and safe.
Fireplace Safety Tips:
- If possible, keep a window cracked open while the fire is burning.
- Be certain the damper or flue is open before starting a fire.
- Use dry and well-aged wood.
- Smaller pieces of wood placed on a grate, burn faster and produce less smoke.
- Clean out ashes from previous fires.
Steps to Prevent a Freeze or Break in Your Irrigation System:
- Put away hoses — Detach hoses from outdoor faucets.
- Cover outdoor faucets — Tightly close any outdoor faucets you have.
- Insulate above-ground pipes — Wrap your sprinkler system's main shut-off valve with insulation.
When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.