I came across this in the newspaper this morning, and it nearly made me spill my coffee.
They are charging £100 for a bouquet of flowers!!!!!
No wonder so many people are turned off by Valentine's day with all the overpriced chocolate and flowers...
We seem to forget Valentine's day is a celebration of LOVE, whether is with your partner or with yourself.
...and LOVE is worth celebrating, especially with what is going on in the world right now.
Celebrating love doesn't have to be expensive either. Here are 25 fun and affordable ideas for stay at home date nights.
But today, I want to talk about a more important type of love :
We often put others in our lives first, trying to be the best mum, wife, partner, friends, employee, boss and daughter we could be, but rarely take time to look after ourselves…
A few years ago, I was in that exact situation, finding myself burned out from my 9 to 5 job, impatient with my family, then feeling guilty of losing my $hit all the time, depressed and anxious. I felt like I was trying to be everything and failing everything.
I was at the rock bottom.
From a training trip that I went on for work, I dawned on me that the reason I was so miserable was that I was not taking care of myself, my own needs!
To turn that around, I must look after myself FIRST, both MENTALLY and PHYSICALLY, before everyone else in my life.
As counter-intuitive as it sounds, I started seeking things that I need to be happy and balanced every day both mentally and physically.
For me, it is
- morning meditation
- a daily workout
- Eating nutritious food (with occasional indulgence)
- Having deep connections with my loved ones
- Help people through my work
When I started to fulfil my needs, I noticed a shift in me - Having the time and space to check in how I feel and what I need every day has transformed me from being reactive to intentional as I move through the day, and ultimately being a better version of myself for everyone else.
Sure, there are still days that I am stressed out, and losing my $hit (who am I kidding), but I can always come back to the baseline - my needs, when a new day starts.
Your “NEEDs” list may look very different from mine, but the point is, to discover what they are yourself.
Why am I sharing with you? Because in case you are in the same boat, you might be able to benefit from the lessons I learned.
So my dear friend, let this be a reminder for you. Start to explore your “NEEDs” list. Make time each day to take care of your body and mind.
In case you are looking for some good resources on self-love, here is my “can’t live without” list - Most of them are FREE.
- Meditation app - Insight timer app (I use the free version) is great for both sleep meditation and morning meditation
- Audible - perfect running or walking companion (30-day free trial available)
- Mel Robbins - my favourite person when I need a good kick-in-a$$. Her “Take Control of Your Life” (available on Audible) has changed my life.
- Fightmaster Yoga on YouTube - my favourite yoga teacher to practise yoga with.
- Peloton app - my daily dose of sweats and motivation (especially during the lockdown), worth every penny.