Right now everyone wants to get into the game of real estate. It's easy money right??? Anyone can do this gig!
Back in 2008, the market was filled with a ton of real estate agents. When the big bust occurred, many jumped ship and went back to what many called, "their real jobs". I am seeing some similarities from 2008 today.
As I see our local Realtor association fill up with a record number of new agents, I cannot help but wonder how many will survive the next real estate downturn. When the going gets tough, who will sink and who will swim?
No matter what, to be successful in any real estate market means putting yourself in the game. Unfortunately, I have watched many new agents just sit on the sidelines and expect their businesses to take off. It just won't happen.
Winning in real estate means:
1. Show up and seek opportunities in your office and in your community.
2. When you show up, get in the game! Look for ways to engage with people, ask to go on listing or buyer appointments with seasoned agents, and put yourself out in front.
3. Get creative. What are your special skills that will make you stand out?
4. Like anything, hard work, perseverance, and a little sweat will earn you a place on the team.
5. Skills take time to perfect. Sitting on the sidelines is a big waste of time.
6. Stop making excuses for why not! Get after what you want and make it happen.
7. Be able to be coached. Those who know it all will soon find out they are missing out on the big game.
8. Listen, watch, and learn from the masters!
9. Take a risk! If you never go for something, you will never know if you can get to the win.
10. Stay in the game! Don't jump ship when things get tough. Seek ways to capitalize in any market.
No matter what, the game of real estate takes planning, lots of practice, and the ability to be a team player. Are you in it to win it or in it only when things are easy?