Anthropologists from the University of Montana, in conjunction with the US Forest Service, will be visiting Superior this week and performing an archeological dig in the China Gulch area of Cedar Creek. They were also here in 1995 and discovered several things, including the U-shaped hearth in this photo.
Cedar Creek has a colorful history to say the least. In 1869, a Frenchman named Louis Barrette discovered gold and established Louiseville, named after his wife. By 1870, Louiseville was a booming mining town, but within 3 years it would be completely abandoned.
The Chinese who were forced out of Idaho moved into the abandoned mining camps and slowly began to take over Cedar Creek. By 1880, there were more Chinese in the area than white Americans.
The Mineral County Historical Society will be sponsoring a bus trip tonight, June 25th to the site of the archeological dig. On Saturday, June 28th, they will provide an additional bus trip and tour of the area and will allow individuals to see items found during the dig. For more information on the tours, contact the Mineral County Museum at 406-822-4626. For more information on Mineral County, Montana including the towns of Superior, St. Regis, Deborgia, Haugen, Saltese, Alberton, and Lozeau, visit www.mymineralcounty.com.