- Speak clearly. I placed this in the #1 position because it has caused me the most frustration. This is especially important if you have an accent (thick or not). I regularly have to listen to voicemail messages 3+ times because I can't understand some of what the agent is saying. I've written down wrong phone numbers because the agent did not speak clearly. I can't call you back if I can't hear your phone number correctly.
- Speak slowly -- I don't take shorthand! I also don't like to have to replay the same message 2+ times in order to write down all the information. This gets the #2 spot because it's amazing to me how often agents speak a mile a minute as if they are in some sort of race for time. Yes, I know there a a few agents who have voice-mail that only allows you 30 seconds to leave a message and to those agents I say "invest a little money and time and find a professional voicemail provider that doesn't limit people to a lousy 30 seconds".
- Leave your name -- not just your first name, but your FULL name! I don't care if your last name sounds funny or has 5 syllables, I still like to write it down in my notes. If it's not a common name or easily understood, by all means, please spell it for me -- I'm going to ask you one way or another.
- Repeat your phone number twice, please! This is a habit I got into years ago -- when leaving messages I always repeat my phone number twice as it is probably the most crucial part of the message and you want to make sure that the person wrote it down correctly.
- State which listing you're interested in showing. Provide me with a street address and city instead of the MLS# because I may not remember offhand which listing has which MLS#.
- Say what day and time you'd like to show the property. Since some listings require an appointment, knowing ahead of time what day and time you'd like to show the property can cut down the number of phone calls required. Unless the property is vacant, as a courtesy to me and/or my sellers, please limit the time range during which you'd like to show a listing to no more than 30-60 minutes. Side Note: Florida agents -- be prepared to provide your real estate license number.
- Include your company name. Even if you're a broker and work for yourself, please be courteous and include the name of your company.
- Give proper notice. Unless the property is vacant, on electronic lockbox and the showing instructions state that no appointment is necessary -- please be courteous and provide me and/or my sellers with reasonable notice that you'd like to show it. Remember, if I'm working with customers/clients at the time that you leave your message, I may not be able to return your call immediately. There are very few acceptable reasons why any agent should have to schedule showings at the last minute.
If anyone would like to add to this list, I'd love to read your suggestions!