There are a lot of perks to home ownership, but let’s face it; it can be expensive. You are not only making a mortgage payment every month, but you are also responsible for maintaining your home. But there are lots of easy ways to save money without ever leaving the house. Follow these tips and start saving today!
- Save money on your electric bill by utilizing natural ways to cool your house. During the spring and summer, open your windows and use fans to get the air circulating through your home. Ceiling fans will help too. Moving the air through the house will help cool it down quite a bit.
- Another way to save on your electric bill is to line dry your clothes. Dryers use a lot of electricity, and there are many good reasons to choose line drying. Not only is it an energy saver, but it may extend the life of your clothing!
- Get rid of cable television. With all the options for streaming shows on apps like Hulu and Netflix, you could save a lot of money by ending your relationship with cable and using apps to stream your favorite programs. You might be surprised to discover that even after upgrading your internet, you will still pay less per month than you did for cable television.
- Always unplug. Even when you are not using an appliance, if you keep it plugged in, it is still pulling electricity. It may not seem like much, but over years you can save quite a bit by unplugging when not using things. Chances are you are not going to want to be bothered with walking around your house to unplug everything, but to make it a little easier, consider using power strips so you can just unplug that at the end of the day.
- Use a shopping list. This may sound silly, but when you go shopping without a list you often come home with way more than you need. Make a list and stick to it. It will not only make shopping more efficient, but it will save you money in the long run.
- Learn how to do basic home maintenance. You can save a ton of money over time by being able to take care of home maintenance yourself. By doing small tasks like replacing filters and cleaning out dust, you can lengthen the lifespan of many appliances, thus saving money as well.
- Bundle up and save on heating costs. Invest in quality, warm blankets so you can turn the heat down and still be warm and cozy when you sleep at night. Decreasing your heat by just a few degrees can save you a lot of money over time.
- Create a budget and try to stick to it. By creating a budget, you will be more conscientious about your spending. It will not only help you to see where you are spending too much, it will also assist you in prioritizing your spending.
Saving money is important. Whether you’re saving for retirement or for a special family vacation, it’s the little things you do that make a big difference in the long run!
If you are in the market to buy or sell a home (or both), let Sandra Nickel and her Hat Team of Professionals assist you with all your real estate needs! Call them today at 334-834-1500 and check out https://www.homesforsaleinmontgomeryalabama.com for more information!
Photo Credits: thebalance.com, southernliving.com, housebeautiful.com