The Seymour Center is now open outdoors only on Saturdays from 11 AM – 2 PM, in accordance with federal, state, local, and university COVID-19 restrictions.
Hours of Operation
OPEN Saturdays, 11 AM – 2 PM PDT (weather permitting)
- Tide Pool Investigation: Hone your observation skills and watch animals such as sea stars, sea urchins, and hermit crabs gracefully move in their environment.
- Outdoor Scavenger Hunt: Explore the Pathway of Giants and find nine outdoor objects hidden around the Seymour Center.
- Larval Fish Geocache: Why do baby fish look so different from their adult forms? What kinds of strategies do fish use for raising their young? And just what kind of fish live in Monterey Bay, anyway? Find the answers to these questions in five secret containers located throughout the Coastal Science Campus.
- Marine Animal Selfie Station: Grab a selfie with one of the life-sized wooden marine animals—be sure to use #SeymourCenter on your social media profiles.
Blue Whale Skeleton
- Meet Ms. Blue: Come face-to-face with one of the largest skeletons of any kind, displayed anywhere in the world.
Gray Whale Skeleton
- Gray Whale Feeding Frenzy: Curious how gray whales find food? Learn more about their unique feeding posture and more.
- Breathtaking Views: Stop by the overlook to experience stunning vistas of the Monterey Bay.
And Lots More!
Know Before You Visit
Your safety is priority of the Seymour Center. To ensure everyone in your group has an enjoyable visit to Seymour Center Outdoors, please read the details below before your visit.
- Face Coverings: All staff and guests (2 years and older) are required to wear a face covering over their nose and mouth per state, local, and university guidelines.
- Social Distancing: All families or groups must maintain a 6-foot distance at all times from staff and other guests. Adults are responsible for ensuring children follow this rule.
- Symptom Check: You’ll be asked if you or anyone in your family:
- Are exhibiting any of the following symptoms: fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose (unrelated to seasonal allergies), nausea or vomiting, diarrhea?
- Have taken any medication for COVID-like symptoms in the past 48 hours before visiting Seymour Center Outdoors?
- Aware of being exposed to anyone who has been confirmed to have COVID-19 or anyone who is experiencing the symptoms of COVID-19 within the previous 10 days?
- Received a positive test result for COVID-19 in the past 10 days?
- Guests experiencing any of the above symptoms or answered yes to any of the above questions may not visit Seymour Center Outdoors.
NOTE: Guests who do not comply with the policies of the Seymour Center will be asked to leave.
Still have questions? Please review the FAQs below.