WHY JULY IS NATIONAL LOST PET PREVENTION MONTH:
ONE IN THREE PETS ARE LOST OR STOLEN IN THEIR LIFETIME!
80% OF PETS ARE NEVER RECOVERED!
A FAMILY PET IS LOST EVERY 2 SECONDS IN NORTH AMERICA!
We already know that more pets get lost during the July 4th holidays than any other day of the year. But did you know that some 10 MILLION dogs and cats are lost or stolen each year? That's 14% of dogs and 15% of cats; Cat owners were less likely to find their cat. Just 74% of lost cats are recovered, while 93% of lost dogs are recovered. For more statistics about this epidemic of lost pets in the USA click here.
DON'T LOSE YOUR PETS: 7 TIPS TO KEEP THEM SAFE
- MICROCHIP your pet. It's a painless process and will be "good" for your pet's lifetime. And be sure to properly license your pet.
- PUT ID TAGS on your pet's collar. Make sure the collar is secure. Tags should include your name and phone number. (My dog's collar tag has his name, my name, my phone number and my address.)
- KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH when outside your property. Of course, leashing a dog is the law in many towns and cities. It's also a law that seems to be broken a lot.
- TEACH YOUR DOG STAY & COME COMMANDS. That way, when you are outside on a street, in a park, a parking lot, if for some reason your dog gets out of your grasp and runs, they are likely to listen to your command and come back.
- DON'T LEAVE YOUR PETS ALONE OUTSIDE for any length of time, especially at night, if you're in an area prone to coyotes, mountain lions, hawks, other predators.
- FENCE YOUR YARD and make sure the gates are secure and always closed. And make certain the fencing you use doesn't allow your dog to push through the fence slats.
SECURE YOUR HOME. Make certain your dogs and cats can't escape out the windows or doors.
If you lose a pet in Charlotte, the CMPD Animal Care & Control Division has set up an online lost report for missing pets and a found report for recovered pets within the community in an effort to help reunite owners with their pets.
These tips for National Lost Pet Prevention Month are provided by Nina Hollander and Carolinas Realty Partners with Coldwell Banker, your Charlotte region pet-friendly residential real estate experts and pet parents and lovers.
If you're considering selling or purchasing a home in the Charlotte metro area this summer, I'd love an opportunity to earn your business, to exceed your expectations, and to show you why experience matters and how:
P.S. If you're thinking about adding a pet to your household, please:
ADOPT, DON'T SHOP!