Fresh Spinach Day is our opportunity to put healthier food into our diets. Popeye the Sailor is right. Spinach is one of the healthiest foods you can eat. It tastes good, and there are many recipes. The reason for eating fresh spinach is that the nutritional value is highest when it is fresh and uncooked.
Celebrate this day by introducing some fresh spinach to your meals today. You could start by mixing some spinach into your garden salad. Your family may not even notice, but by doing so, you are making them healthier!
Gardeners know that spinach is easy to grow. And, it's hardy. You can plant it as soon as the ground can be worked in the spring. Why that's today in many parts of the country! More on Growing Spinach.
Sharing you the recipe of Spinach and Mushroom Salad;
Spinach and Mushroom Salad Ingredients:
- 16 oz. spinach greens
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Spinach and Mushroom Salad Directions:
- Add oil, vinegar, salt, and garlic into a bowl and mix together.
- Rinse and slice mushrooms.
- Add mushrooms and toss together.
- Clean spinach thoroughly, and wrap in paper towels to absorb moisture.
- Tear spinach into bite-sized pieces. Place a big salad bowl.
- Pour mushroom and oil mixture onto the spinach.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese onto the salad.
- Toss salad.
- Serve with croutons