Know the Warning Signs of a Gas Leak Before the Explosion

Real Estate Agent with DFW FINE PROPERTIES 0506509

It is believed an unfortunate natural gas leak caused an explosion in a North Dallas Plano Home on Tuesday, July 20, 2021. Six people were injured in what sounded like a bomb went off inside a home located at the 4400 block of Cleveland Drive in Plano. The blast leveled the home to the ground. Several neighbor's homes were also damaged. One home owner said her house "rumbled," another neighbor had glass windows blown out of his windows in a matter of seconds. One victim is in critical condition. The explosion could be heard several miles away. A ring doorbell captured the video at the time the explosion occurred. 


Natural Gas leaks are rare but it can happen. Gas is odorless and colorless. That is why Mercaptan is used which smells like sulfur or rotten eggs. Definition:


"Mercaptan is also known as methanethiol and is a harmless but pungent-smelling gas which has been described as having the stench of rotting cabbages or smelly socks. It is often added to natural gas, which is colourless and odourless, to make it easier to detect."


Gas Companies warn that if you smell gas act quickly. The following are a SOURCE of an ignition to cause a blast:







In the event of a gas leak, there is no time to change clothes, gather belongings, clean house, collect your valuables. Everyone must evacuate immediately! Get outside and call 911. As soon as you can, call your Insurance Company or contact your landlord if renting. If you are a guest in a home or an Airbnb let authorities know. If children are in schools contact school authorities immediately and make arrangements for where your children should go. Get professional help and guidance from local fire and rescue. Act quickly without losing your head and keep emotions in check. Lives matter. Video cameras are rolling. Stay away from where the accident occurred. If injured or people are missing report what you know to 911 or Emergency Help immediately.   



Posted by

Texas Law requires all license holders to provide the Information about Brokerage Services form to prospective clients.

Real Estate Commission Consumer Protection Notice  


 dfw fine properties



                                        3575 Lone Star Circle, Suite 315
                                        Fort Worth, TX 76117
                                        Office: 817-748-4800/FAX: 817--748-4900

                                         Patricia (Peace without Panic) Feager (Faith without Fear)
                                                        Cell: 469-951-4758



MBA (University of Dallas)
(Bachelors of Arts & Science)
SECI (Southeastern Career Institute)
Associates (3) (Collge of Lake County)
KU (University of Kansas)


CRS (Certified Residential Specialist)
SRES (Certified Senior Residential Specialist)
PSA (Certified Pricing Strategies; Mastering the CMA)
CRS (Certified Military Relocation Specialist)
RENE (Real Estte Negotitions Expert)

"With self-discipline most anything is possible." --- Theodore Roosevelt 





Comments (10)

Michael Jacobs
Pasadena, CA
Los Angeles Pasadena 818.516.4393

Hello Patricia - I read a news flash about a Dallas area explosion this week so this posy didn't catch me by surprise.  Unfortunately, it can happen anywhere so your advice is timely for anyone. Anywhere.  And anytime.  

Jul 21, 2021 04:08 AM
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP

Michael Jacobs - News travels fast! When there is an emergency people react. Unfortunately, many don't know what to do. It helps to know what to do beforehand by instinct and memory recall of something you read or learned. In a case like this gas explosion, there's no time to stop and GOOGLE! Safety is always top priority. 

Jul 21, 2021 04:14 AM
Nina Hollander, Broker
Coldwell Banker Realty - Charlotte, NC
Your Greater Charlotte Realtor

Great tips, Patricia... I would guess that most people aren't all that aware of safety measures to take if they suspect a gas leak.

Jul 21, 2021 04:48 AM
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP

Nina Hollander, Broker - Come to think of it, schools have fire drills but I never heard of schools educating kids about gas leaks. To think, so many kids are left at home alone once they reach a certain age and they are told don't leave the house. 

Jul 21, 2021 04:57 AM
Wayne Martin
Wayne M Martin - Chicago, IL
Real Estate Broker - Retired

Good morning Patricia. If you smell it, get out and let the pros do their work. Enjoy your day!

Jul 21, 2021 04:56 AM
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP

Wayne Martin - I have my thinking cap on and I just contacted my Utility Company for an idea I have to save lives. May you enjoy your day, as well!

Jul 21, 2021 05:14 AM
Kat Palmiotti
406-270-3667,, Broker, eXp Realty - Kalispell, MT
Helping your Montana dreams take root

I also read previously that if you are in the house where gas is leaking, you might not even smell it. You become desensitized to the smell. Scary stuff.

Jul 21, 2021 05:15 AM
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP

Kat Palmiotti  - it is scary! This incident has been on my mind. I contacted my Utility Company and expressed my concerns. I'm looking forward to what they have to say. 

Jul 21, 2021 05:18 AM
Brian England
Vacasa - Gilbert, AZ
MBA, GRI, REALTOR® Real Estate in East Valley AZ

I once thought I had a gas leak in my home, but it turned out that it was just mustiness from a small bathroom that wasn't receiving enough ventilation.  The inspector even said the smell was the same and was surprised when his tests came back negative.  It was a big relief for me though and an easy thing to fix.

Jul 21, 2021 05:39 AM
Bill Salvatore - YVP Blog
Arizona Elite Properties - Chandler, AZ
Realtor - Valley of the Sun /

Wow Patricia, Great points.  Make it the best Wednesday you can, and thanks again for the post.  Bill Salvatore

Jul 21, 2021 06:15 AM
Ron and Alexandra Seigel
Napa Consultants - Carpinteria, CA
Luxury Real Estate Branding, Marketing & Strategy


These are great tips.  We sold a commercial  property that had natural gas underground, and in order to build on it, it needed venting.  The architect created 6 metallic tall palm trees that vented the gas.  It was a lovely way to solve the issue.  A

Jul 21, 2021 06:59 AM
Roy Kelley
Realty Group Referrals - Gaithersburg, MD

This is excellent advice to share.

Take care, be safe and have a great day.

Jul 21, 2021 12:06 PM
George Souto
George Souto NMLS #65149 FHA, CHFA, VA Mortgages - Middletown, CT
Your Connecticut Mortgage Expert

Patricia it should be mandatory for people who have gas utilities to educate themselves about the safety steps they need to take in case of a gas leak.

Jul 21, 2021 01:24 PM
Debra Leisek
Bay Realty,Inc Homer Alaska - Homer, AK

It is state law here that all homes multi units and commercial buildings have carbon monoxide detectors. It is scary to think about the damage and lives lost if people are not cautious at all times

This is a very informative and timely post. Hopefully people will read this and take the proper precautions needed to save lives!

thank you Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP 

Aug 06, 2021 11:42 PM