Is it time to get your mindset checked?
20 ways to improve your mindset
I was inspired to write this because of all the agents whose might need help improving their mindset. Today's market is leaving a lot of agents feeling discouraged. I mean, what a crazy market?? Agents who have sold Real Estate for a while, can tell you this is not the last time you'll feel discouraged as a Realtor. And 2021 it isn't the only time unless you quit. I've talked with agents who have said they want to quit. Real Estate is not for the faint of heart. It is a very discouraging, tough, busy market to be in.
I started selling Real Estate in 2007 at the beginning of the recession. I didn't know any better. Thankfully, I just went in full force and succeeded. However, within 5 year, I was burned out. I was ready to quit. So what changed? Mindset.
Something had to change or I had to quit. I couldn't keep going the way I was. I had two kids still at home and very involved in school and sports. The first thing I did was take a look at my business. What could I do the find leverage? That's when I changed to a company that allowed me to have an assistant. That wasn't enough. I was already beat down.
I had to change my mindset. Below are 20 things you can do to change your mindset.
1) Prayer - Prayer has many benefits. This allows you to release the things you cannot change. Let's face it, although we sometimes act like super heroes, we're not. We can't fix everything. Prayer can bring you to reality, it can bring you peace, understanding, comfort and so much more.
2) Exercise - Exercise has a huge impact on mindset. We've all heard about the great endorphins you get with exercise. Did you know it helps with memory retention, concentration and thinking? It helps release negative thoughts and distortions and makes you feel better.
3) Gratitude - This can go along with prayer or you can do this throughout the day. You can start your day writing in a journal. Many people do this around Thanksgiving but, why not be grateful every day? Be grateful when you wake up and take a breath. Be grateful for your family and friends, for your home and car. Be grateful for the things that didn't happen. What are you grateful for today?
Check out this funny video that drives the point home.
4) Be a blessing - Do one thing nice for someone else each day. It can be as simple as taking someone a cup of coffee, putting your family's clothes away, giving a word of encouragement. Paying it forward through a restaurant or coffee drive through is always a favorite. Sending someone in need an anonymous gift card can be a blessing. Sending an agent partner a referral is a huge blessing. Making a call to an elderly person is also a great way to be a blessing. Blessings take the focus off you and put it on someone else. And the truth is, being a blessing to someone else will bless you more.
5) Music - Listen to relaxing music when you get up or upbeat music if that's your thing. Motvational speakers can also help with mindset. I like to have Alexa play meditation music when I get up and sometimes throughout the day. It helps reduce my stress levels.
6) Pets - Play with your pet. Pet's are great at helping relieve stress. They are forgiving and love unconditionally.
7) Self Care - Get a facial, mani-pedi or massage. This is a wonderful way to relax and feel refreshed.
8) Tea - Drink green tea or other relaxing beverages. Just don't overdo it on the alcohol.
9) Sleep - Get a good nights sleep. This is more important than you realize. If you can't sleep, see a sleep specialist, look into a new mattress, listen to soothing apps, talk to your doctor about Melatonin or other sleep aids. Sleep in important for dealing with stress, anti-aging, memory and so much more. Another tip is to not watch TV or work late into the night. Your mind cannot turn off if you do. Many young professionals use blue blocker glasses to protect their eyes and their mind.
10) Vitamin D - Get outdoors. Did you know, many Americans are low on vitamin D? We spend so much time indoors and lather on the sunscreen that our Vitamin D is low. Getting in some rays is important. Vitamin D has been linked to many health benefits and has been shown to be very important when battling Covid.
11) What you watch is what you think - Careful what you watch and read. It can affect what and how you think. Junk in is junk out. Get off social media AND the television. Social media can be very negative at times. Limit your use and what you read online.
12) Journal - this can also allow you to release your feelings and not carry them around. If you don't want anyone to read it, write it down and throw it away. Use journaling to change your mindset.
13) Nutrition - What you eat matters. How your gut reacts matters. Keep a log of what you eat and notice how you feel. It isn't always about weight loss. It is about healthy living. Look for superfoods and foods high in anti-oxidants.
14) Nature - Get away from it all. It doesn't even have to involve exercise. Getting back to nature can be a big boost to your mindfulness. It can be a hike or walk through nature, time on the beach or at the lake. Go to the place that makes your feel good.
15) Laughter - You've heard that laughter is the best medicine. Take the time to seek out things that make you laugh or bring you happiness. Check out these tips to create a laughter mindset.
16) Napping - Sometimes you just need a good old fashioned nap. This can be indoors, in a hammock, on the beach if you're near the beach, or just about anywhere. There are solid benefits to taking a cat nap.
17) Priortize - and just say No - Do the important things and let the rest go. Many of us take on too much because we can't say no. There comes a time when you just need to take a step back. Discover important steps to a healthy mindset through prioritizing.
18) Scenery - Change your scenery - take a vacation or if you work from home go somewhere that has good internet and work from there. Maybe a week at the beach or in the mountains is just the medicine you need. Then take evening strolls, watch the sunset, go to a cool cafe or coffee shop. Just do it! Change your scenery and change your mindset.
19) Retail Therapy - Whoa Nelly! Let's not get carried away. Don't overspend or overdo. Sometimes a new pair of shoes or a new dress can pep you up. Just make sure it is in your budget. I wouldn't recommend buying a new Tesla without thoughtful consideration and budgeting. When it comes to retail therapy, put safeguards in place.
20) Seek Help - sometimes you need a professional. If you're just too deep into negative thoughts and distortions, seek out the help of a professional. Never make big decisions until you're in a positive place. There's nothing wrong with seeking help. It can be the first step in the right direction. There's a saying that there are those people see a therapist and those who need to see a therapist.
Please share some ways you've found work to improve your mindset.