Divorce And The Wrong Listing Agent

Real Estate Agent with Samson Properties 0225 093857

Divorce And The Wrong Listing Agent

Divorcing homeowners need to be sure they are hiring the right real estate agent to get their home sold. Hiring the wrong agent could cost time and money, neither of which they want to lose. 

So what do you do if you hired the wrong agent? Before you can hire a new listing agent there are steps you need to take. 

1- Read the listing agreement you signed.  Is there a fee for canceling? Depending how long the agent has had the listing and what has been done marketing wise, the fee may be negotiable. 

2- Send the agent and the broker an email stating why you are canceling. Include the date which the cancellation is to take place and the  listing withdrawn from the MLS.

3- Have the agent email you a copy of the withdrawn listing. 

Once all of the above have been taken care of you are now free to listing with a new agent. You should consider hiring a CDRE. These are agents who are trained in helping divorcing couples. 

What is a CDRE? A  Certified Divorce Real Estate Expert is a Realtor who has passed the Ilumni Institutes rigorous certification program. The training is taught by a faculty of family law attorneys, mediators, certified mortgage professionals and real estate experts, with judicial officers as guest speakers. 

CDRE are held to a higher Code of Ethics than those that are mandated by law. Search the Ilumni Institute directory to find a CDRE in your area.  

Comments (1)

George Souto
George Souto NMLS #65149 FHA, CHFA, VA Mortgages - Middletown, CT
Your Connecticut Mortgage Expert

Susan Jacobs CDRE I am confused by the title and the blog.  Are you referring to transactions which involve a couple going through a divorce.  Or are you referring to divorcing (firing) your Realtor?

Aug 18, 2021 02:49 PM