YES! Absolutely! Lead Was a Primary Element Used For Painting Properties Prior to 1978
The government banned the use of lead-based paint in 1978. If you are buying a property built before 1978, you most likely have lead-based paint in your home. While the presence of lead is not a health hazard, if you decide to paint or remodel your home, you can easily breathe in lead-based paint dust.
How Does This Effect Our Health?
Lead is a toxic substance that causes a large range of health issues. You can get elevated lead poisoning by ingesting/breathing in the toxic substance. Lead is still present in homes that were built before 1978. While lead paint undisturbed will not cause any issues, you can ingest lead dust by putting your hands on lead-contaminated objects, or be surrounded by lead dust for an extended period of time, these health symptoms may show:
- Impaired Brain Functions
- Weight Loss
- Respiratory Issues such as difficulty breathing
- Irritation to the throat, eyes, and nose
- High Blood Pressure
- Abdominal Pains
- Development Delays and more...
It is safe to say, that the effect lead has to our health is extensive. If proper action is not addressed, then the potential damage could cost much more than an inspection and remediation...
How Do I Know If I Have Lead?
If you are living or buying a home that was built before 1978, then it is very likely that you have lead-based paint in your home. Getting a lead-based paint test will allow you to take corrective actions sooner. To learn ways of how to protect your family from lead-based paint, please follow the EPA’s recommendation at: How To Make Your Home Lead Safe
If you'd like to see how our Lead Paint Reports are drawn up, go ahead and check out our environmental sample reports here to see how the format and style appear.