Next week, we celebrate Thanksgiving. For many, this means gathering with our families, sharing a meal, and counting the blessings bestowed upon us over the past year. Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of either family or food on the table. According to Food Share Ventura, one in six people in Ventura County experiences food insecurity. That means, more likely than not, you know of someone in this situation. One way to show how grateful you are this holiday season is to donate to local Ventura food pantries.
Ventura Food Pantries Welcome Holiday Donations
The holidays can be a particularly rough time for some people. When you go shopping, consider adding a few extra items to your cart. Then, donate them to a local food pantry. In turn, these pantries make sure that the goods are passed out to those in need in our community. Also, while food pantries see an increase in donations during the holidays, they want to remind everyone that we all need to eat every single day of the year. So, please consider making regular donations throughout the rest of the year as well. For specific requests and hours of donation drop-off, please contact the particular food pantry you wish to donate to below.
What to Donate
- Beans - canned
- Fish (tuna, sardines, salmon, etc.) - canned
- Fruit - canned
- Milk - shelf-stable
- Pasta sauce - cans or plastic containers, not glass jars
- Peanut Butter
- Rice - brown, white, jasmine, etc.
- Soup - canned or boxed
- Stew - canned
- Vegetables - canned
Keep in mind that most pantries do not accept food items in glass jars or expired goods. However, some (not all) pantries do accept fresh produce and dairy. Contact the food pantry ahead of time to see what they accept and what they request that you leave off your donation list.
Ventura Food Pantry Locations
- Candelaria American Indian - 1650 Palma Dr. (805) 650-8352
- Catholic Charities Ventura - 303 N. Ventura Ave. (805) 643-4694
- Community Presbyterian Church - 1555 Poli St. (805) 648-2737
- Family to Family - 303 N. Ventura Ave. (805) 658-2610
- Kids & Families Together - 856 E Thompson Rd. (805) 643-1446
- Project Understanding - 2734 Johnson Dr. (805) 652-1326
- Salvation Army - 155 Oak St. (805) 648-5032
- Seventh Day Adventist Ventura - 6300 Telephone Rd. (805) 642-5387
- Temple Beth Torah - 7620 Foothill Blvd. (805) 647-4181
Share your blessings. Donate today.
Originally posted on our Ventura County real estate blog here: http://thezteam4re.com/ventura-food-pantries-seek-donations/.