I have been a Realtor in Idaho for over 30 years and have closed brand new homes with 68 different builders and represented seven different developers. Each one has their own unique approach and niche, so where do you start?
I start with your needs/wants.
- Timing: Different builders take different time frames to build a home so we look at how long you are willing to wait to get the perfect home instead of settling for what is currently offered on the market. Do we have time to start from scratch or do we look for homes under construction that may not be on the MLS?
- Budget: What price point do you want to stay at or under? This way we can determine if it is even an option for you. Keep in mind that with new construction, you have to budget for window treatments, landscaping, fence, etc. However, you will be spending less on maintenance than on older resale homes.
- Financing: We talk about options of how to buy a new home. Are you paying cash; are you willing to do a construction perm loan (one time closing) to save some money; or do you want the builder to finance the home while it is under construction and you just buy it after it is completed?
- Location: Not all builders build in all cities since they like to get to know the permit process and the inspectors. Some builders only build in their own communities (every house in those subdivisions will be built by the same builder).
- Style/floor plan: Some builders are known for building homes to optimize price per square foot giving you more space for the dollar while others build custom homes with more unique roof lines and curb appeal. I have hundreds of floor plans to choose from!
- Personalization and choice: Some builders (like CBH Homes) will only build what they want, where they want. This way, they control the process, not you. We can't go to them and have them build a certain floor plan of theirs on a vacant lot for you). Others, will let you come with an idea on a Post It Note and work on creating a custom plan. Others are somewhat in between and let you customize within their pre-determined options (Toll Brothers, Hubble Homes, Hayden Homes, etc.).
On January 1, 2022; there were only 20 completed single family homes for sale in Boise, Idaho. These didn't include condo's or townhouses. There were an additional 17 homes that are currently offered for sale that are under construction and another 15 that are listed as To Be Built. A "to be built" listing is where a builder has identified which model is going to be on a specific lot and priced it out with certain amenities.
However, think of all the vacant lots that are already developed or being developed. I see those all as opportunities for a home for my clients regardless of which builder is going to be building the homes.
I would be glad to talk to you about your next home in Boise or the surrounding area. I can represent you regardless of which builder or community you decide on. I know many of the builders personally and they gladly cooperate with me in their communities when I sell their homes! It doesn't cost the buyer any more to get their own agent as the builder typically factors in the selling costs whether you use their on site agent or your own Realtor who represents you and your interests!
Let's set a plan to get you into your next home in Boise in 2022! Call Jim Paulson at 208-573-0471 or email me at GoOwnIt@gmail.com.