If you want to accomplish your goals for the new year, you must stay focused! Without focus on the end goal, you will not likely accomplish very must or how will you know when you've met your goal?
1. Set SMART goals.
- Specific. What exactly do you want to accomplish.
- Measurable. How will you keep track of your progress?
- Achievable. Be realistic. Make sure you can accomplish the goal within the timeframe for completion.
- Relevant. Be sure it fits the overall plan.
- Timely. When do it need to be completed?
I will lose weight in 2022 is not a SMART goal.
I will lose 100 lbs by March 31. 2002 is not a SMART goal.
I will lost 5 lbs by March 31, 2022 is a SMART Goal if written in early January. It is specific and measurable and is achievable within the time frame. If your big picture to lose 100 lbs, by chunking the pounds into a small goal, you are more likely to meet your end goal.
2. Limit distractions.
- Move to a separate room, if possible. Shut the door. Put a note on a door.
- Turn off your phone. Set time during the date for phone activity.
- Ask family members to not interrupt you while working. Put a not on the door.
- Shut down unnecessary apps on your computer to limit pop ups.
3. Make a to-do list.
- I use a spiral book. I list the days of the week on the left and list tasks that have to be done on that specific day. I draw a line down the middle and use the right side for things I would like to do that week. The top part of the list consists of business tasks. The bottom part of the list contains personal tasks. This keeps me focused each day. If I complete my daily tasks, I can go to the right side and grab tasks that can be completed anytime during the week in whatever time frame I have available.
- Cross things off the list as they are completed.
Having a written plan for the week helps me get things done during my week.
Specific goals help you break down a large task into smaller, manageable tasks. This makes it easier for you to get the job done in the least amount of time with the least amount of stress.
Let's start with these three. I will do another list in the future so you can continue to find ways to focus with increased productivity in mind.
My book with my task lists for the week. It's simply, easy and I can cross off as I go through my week what's been done or easily add items or move items. I'm old, so I like paper for this planner. I've been using this since I was in middle school and I'm in my 70th year of life! Don't laugh.