I am sorry to be absent from ActiveRain for a long time. I was tempted to return with the Kentucky Derby this year, an event which I have commented on in the past, but the possibility of a Triple Crown horse was lost when Rich Strike did not participate in the Preakness.
However I have another topic which I believe to be important and will speak on the subject of the November mid-term elections. Many object to my choice of subject matter on the basis that it is a step too far from the subject of real estate. I disagree. I believe that the ebb and flow of politics in our country has a direct impact on our real estate interests and the policies of our Federal and State and Local governments impact the markets we operate in and the economic decisions that our lawmakers at all levels will directly effect the way we buy and sell real estate whether we are direct participants or brokers/salespersons assisting others. So politics will intrude into our work spaces. You may choose not to discuss politics with your potential clients - but you should be well read from sources of your choice. You do not have to agree with me - but you should be able to articulate your choices and defend them in a civil debate.
I used to have a series of blogs that was called "We hold these truths to be self-evident". It is a reference to the Declaration of Independence. And it refers to the touchstones of our liberty which we should not forget. The balance of this blog will be drawn from a piece written by Mike Huckabee. If you do not recognize him (and you should) Mike was a former Governor of Arkansas, a prior candidate for President and now, a senior statesman whom I listen to when I have the opportunity. He appears on news channels, has his own talk show and podcast. I like him and, if you listen to what he says - you may like him too.
Wherever I travel, I am asked by friends and strangers how the election will turn out this fall. My response is that Republicans will win in a blowout unless they fail to come up with a cohesive message other than, “Hey, we aren’t THOSE guys who doubled your gas prices, jacked-up groceries by 20%, and who opened the borders to illegals but busted the supply of baby formula.”
The policies of the leftist Democrats have finally become untenable for common-sense loving Americans who, unlike Joe Biden’s recent nominee to the Supreme Court, DO know what a woman is. The Democrats have gone into a wild, irrational rage about abortion, calling it “health care for women,” even though at least one person dies every time there is an abortion. They claim that 4 and 5-year-old children should be taught about gender fluidity before learning numbers, colors, and letters of the alphabet.
Most Americans know that’s not just bad policy; it’s insanity. And working-class Americans have grown tired of the elitists from Hollywood and Washington lecturing about climate change and carbon footprints when the same hypocritical snobs fly around the globe in fuel-sucking, carbon-emitting private jets and, upon landing, ride in long black limousines while owning 4 or 5 homes.
The demands to tax more don’t go over well with anyone who owns a business or is trying to get kids to school each day and feed them each evening, but Republicans need to focus on what they will stand FOR if given the majority in the House and Senate. Keep in mind that even if the GOP takes both houses, they won’t be able to pass legislation because Joe Biden isn’t likely to sign anything that makes energy cheaper, houses more affordable, or our borders more secure. Biden’s party still wants to pursue truly crazy policies like Critical Race Theory that indoctrinates schoolchildren to believe that all white children are evil oppressors and that our nation is systemically racist and bad, despite it being the ONE place on earth where people of every color risk their very lives to get to because they believe America is still a great country where freedom and opportunity awaits.
Republicans should tell America that if elected, they will pursue the following things and force Joe Biden to either sign the legislation or explain to struggling American why not:
1. We will finish the border wall, enforce immigration laws, and stop the flow of deadly drugs and human trafficking of small children to become sex slaves for the drug cartels.
2. We will support our military by giving them leaders who believe that a military being deadly is more important than being diverse. That means people are promoted because they are the best, not because they are of the right color, gender, or sexual identity.
3. We will value all life from conception because we don’t think any human life is disposable or expendable.
4. We will work toward a completely different tax system like the Fair Tax, in which we pay taxes on what we consume and not what we produce. We would get rid of the death tax and capital gains taxes because we shouldn’t punish productivity.
5. We will follow the Constitution and allow the states to govern themselves without the federal government mandating the minutia.
6. We will not tolerate violent crime and let killers and thugs back on the streets to repeat their attacks on the law-abiding public. We all should have an expectation to walk in our neighborhood, ride a subway or bus, or get from our car to the front door of a grocery store without being assaulted.
7. We will renew energy independence by re-starting the Keystone XL pipeline, drilling on federal lands, extracting the oil and natural gas under our own feet, and re-starting a long-term nuclear energy capacity.
The country is in a mess, and while Biden and the Democrats blame Putin, Trump, or anyone but themselves, we all know they OWN the results of their policies.
But we, the people, own the elections with our votes. And the country doesn’t belong to the politicians but to the people. Always has; always will!
Thank you for your consideration. More to come in the coming months.