Questions! Questions! Questions! A big shout out to Ray Henson and Margaret Rome Baltimore 410-530-2400 for hosting the August Challenge!!!! I've been working on my first entry for a few days. And holy smokes it's the longest post -ever. But it is what is! I had fun and that's what matters! If you haven't entered the contest, Get Started! The end of August will be here before you know it! Truth or Dare, Fish Stories and Our August Challenge
1. We all go on vacation to get away from it all and have a great time, but I want to know, what vacation day was your worst?
Worst vacation week - ever! I was living in Vail CO and going home to MN for the Christmas holiday. We barely made it over Vail pass and down through the Eisenhower tunnel into Denver due to a massive snow storm. We made it to the airport and low and behold the airport was shutting down. Thankfully we able to snag a hotel room close by. We stayed there 4 days with all our new stranded friends! The hotel served all the guests the same food by the second day as they were running out of food! The airport finally opened up on the 4th day and I was lucky to get a flight to MPLS. I got into MPLS and low and behold the airport was shut down right after our flight due to a huge snow/ice storm- that must have followed me from CO! We barely made it to my sisters house and once again we were all confined in her house for another 3 days. I never did get up to see my folks that holiday as the roads were very dangerous. The vacation week was over and I had to go back to airport and get to CO. The fun part - I did learn how to play a lot of different card games that week and made some new friends in the hotel.
2. What would be your bucket list vacation or, if you have already taken it, tell us about it? Pictures encouraged.
I've taken so many awesome vacations all my life! Some were in Mexico, Canada, USA and various islands. I always loved going skiing (before I lived in CO) so that was my favorite destination for quite some time. I then got into taking about 3 or 4 weeks off in August/September and took 'road trips' all over the country. We camped along the way and took our time. So much fun meeting new people, seeing new sites, visiting museums and all kind of other fun activities.
3. If your ActiveRain friends were to visit you, would you prepare dinner for them or would you take them to the best pizza joint in town? What would you make or where would you go?
I've done both actually many times! Typically we grill something yummy or I make one of my soups or chili's depending on the time of year. If we go out there are so many great places. Our favorite is Postino's which many Rainers can attest to loving that restaurant! As for Pizza that would be Federal Pizza!
4. We all know that Canadian bacon and pineapple are the best toppings for any pizza. If you can’t have those toppings on your pizza, what would you choose?
My favorite is Canadian Bacon and Pineapple! But if I don't have that there is another one that has goat cheese and vegies. Yum!
5. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
Ice Cream? I'm probably the only one who doesn't really like ice cream all that much. If I have any it's probably just a vanilla cone with chocolate topping. And wouldn't you know Gary went into Costco today while I waited in the car with the 'boys'. What did he bring out? A diet coke for me and a vanilla rasberry ice cream dish with 2 spoons. I had a few spoonfuls but not much.
6. What is your beverage of choice with dinner; beer, wine, iced tea, a cocktail, or …..?
Well that's an easy question! I enjoy a nice glass or two of Chardonnay or Cabernet with dinner. And anytime with friends for that matter!
7. Do you prefer going to a concert, the theater, or a big sporting event? Who or what would you be watching?
Well can't think of the last time I've been to any big events! Oh now I remember there is a play running and a number of our friends have raved about it. I think it's called Get Off Your Feet. Lots of singing and dancing and it's based on a famous singer - sorry don't remember her name. We also go to the Phoenix Art Museum quite often to see any new exhibits and the Musical Instrument Museum when we have visitors in town.
8. There are so many great festivals across the country. Is there a special one in your area? Pictures are encouraged.
Festivals? The last big one we went was the Renaissance Festival but holy smokes that was at least 15 or so years ago. No pics that I can find.
9. What is your greatest sporting accomplishment, hitting a hole in one, bowling a perfect game, hitting the game winning shot, etc.? If you do not enjoy athletics, what is your greatest accomplishment?
Sports if my first love! I grew up skating, skiing, playing tennis, racquet ball, volley ball, basketball, golf, you name it. I played it. I was the captain of the volleyball, basketball and tennis team in high school. I also taught skiing, racquetball and tennis. I took up mountain hiking and cross country skiing when I moved to Vail CO after college. Love to be outside in nature!
10. Are you a pet person? If so, names and pictures are a must!
Absolutely! Barney is our Grandpa Dog and Norman is our sweet little guy! They keep us laughing constantly and oh how they love their TREATS and going to Home Depot!
11. What is your favorite thing to collect, or do you prefer to keep things simple and clutter free? Or what is your decorating style?
Collect? Hmmm? I used to collect Christmas Dishes. My Mom got me started on a particular collection made in Germany after college. Every holiday she gifted me more dishes and at some point I started adding on to it. I just donated the whole collection to a charity a couple of years ago. I hadn't used it for several years or more and it took up a whole cabinet in the garage. We were planning on moving and we decided to gift a lot of things. And honestly giving away those dishes was kind of hard but I know they went to somebody that loves them.
12. What job did you have just prior to making the switch to real estate and has it helped you in your real estate career? (Courtesy of Jeff Dowler, CRS)
Interior Designer which I still to this day love! I thought I'd do a 'little' real estate along with design but it turned out real estate took over design by a long shot. I still help friends and clients with their design projects and it's still one of my favorite things to do.
13. When you are writing on ActiveRain, who is your audience and why did you choose them for your audience? (Courtesy of Margaret Rome Baltimore 410-530-2400
Business! For years my main audience was for our clients and potential clients as well as agents around the country. I've done a lot of referring back and forth for many years via CRS and then ActiveRain. Now I write to support other rainers and sometimes dip into some real estate or life perspectives and host a contest once in awhile.
14. What makes you the real estate agent of choice in your area?
My area? Well I never considered myself as an 'area' agent like some agents do. I have a huge SOI which includes all our past clients and business associates and networking groups. My goal is to retire. I refer a lot of business out now and I'm having a blast and involved in various projects. Life is supposed to be FUN!
15. What is the most outrageous action that a client has ever asked you to perform?
Outrageous? Well, they all know I'm a straight shooter so I don't have many crazy folks thinking I'm going to do crazy stuff for them. The only one I can recall is one that told me had roof issues (major leaks) and he refused to disclose that on the Sellers Property Disclosure. I didn't take the listing.
16. We show a lot of homes in our profession. What is the most interesting home or, item in a home, that you have encountered?
Most interesting home? By far the most incredible home was in Mexico. We entered the property via a guarded gate, parked in an 10 car garage and from there was one amazing room after another, probably way over 20,000 square feet and it was on about 10 acres or so .The estate included an Olympic size swimming pool along with a massive outdoor covered plaza for entertaining where they hosted big events and hired well known bands and the Mexico City Symphony - I attended that event! There was a stable of horses and a regulation polo grounds. I could go on and on and on! We call the place "Someplace Else"!!! Most folks wouldn't believe it existed, but it does!
17. What are your three favorite neighborhoods in your area and what makes them special? Are you lucky enough to live in one of those neighborhoods?
Moon Valley! I've lived in Moon Valley since I've lived in Phoenix. We are surrounded by mountains, have access to hundreds of hiking and biking trails, several golf courses and about 10 minutes to the Deer Valley Airport and 25 minutes to Sky Harbor Airport. Plus there is shopping, restaurants anything you could want within minutes.
As for my other favorite neighborhoods, honestly there are so many here in Phoenix and Scottsdale that it would be hard to chose only 3!
18. We all love client testimonials, but is there one that really made you feel special? We would love to see it.
Yup! These clients have been with us for most of my career. I have helped the entire extended family buy and sell over 25 homes. They are an awesome family!
With Anna Banana Kruchten I not only gained the assistance of an experienced and knowledgeable broker but a new friend. Anna made me feel completely comfortable and confident in buying my first home. She worked diligently, night and day, to make sure it was the home of my dreams! Throughout the buying process, I felt as if I was their only client and responsibility and I was never worried about any of the decisions that I made with her by my side. Since I moved into my home Anna Banana has kept in constant contact with me and has become an essential member of my family. My entire family are now clients of Anna Banana's. I continue to refer people to her! Anna has recently assisted my parents of buying a retirement home and sell their other properties. As per normal, she knew exactly how to keep it as smooth and stress-free as she possibly could. In fact we just celebrated by taking her and her husband out to dinner last weekend! I not only highly recommend the Anna Banana to anyone buying or selling a home, but insist that everyone go with the lady who WILL best take care of you from start to finish and that's Anna Banana!
19. What is your favorite volunteer work or charity?
Foster Kids! I was on the Board of Directors for a local foster care program for many years. We are still involved with fundraising and other various ways. We gave them several items that were needed for teaching the kids at their facility (projector and big screen). I saw them last Friday and they said the projector really helped the kids to catch up on schooling over the summer time.
20. What does the flag represent to you?
God Bless the United States of America! We fly both a flag and a house flag out front most every day to show our love for our country.
21. When we discuss life, my dad always says he is not sure what he would like to be when he grows up. He is 77! What do you want to be when you grow up or are you already in your perfect profession?
When I grow up? HA! Like that's going to happen! My Mom was a very fun person with a sense of mischief and humor bar none. She was that way to the day she died. I am thankful I learned these skills from her - always be young at heart and always keep learning and enjoying life!
Cheers! Thumbs Up!