Preserved lemons are turning into a go to ingredient for us. We found the recipe in one of our favorite cookbooks, Jerusalem, by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi. It takes a few weeks to get them done, but the recipe is not hard and the time spent is well worth it.
6 Lemons (I prefer Meyer's Lemons)
6 T coarse sea salt
2 Rosemary sprigs
1 Large red chili (I used a Jalapeño)
Juice of 6 lemons
Sterilize one canning jar and lid.
Wash lemons, then cut a large, deep X into the top of each lemon and stuff each lemon with one tablespoon of salt. Add the lemons to the jar. I never think I will be able to get all six in, but they always seem to just make it. Seal the jar and store the lemons in a cool, darkish spot for one week.
At the end of one week, open the jar and push down on the lemons with a wooden spoon to press as much of the juice out of each lemon as possible. Add 2 sprigs of Rosemary, one chili sliced the long way (I added 2 peppers) and the juice from six lemons to the jar. Top with a small amount of olive oil and seal. Place in a cool, darkish space for 4 weeks and wait for the magic to happen.
Uses for Preserved Lemons
- We have added it to salads and salad dressing.
- It is great mixed in with mayonnaise and added to a sandwich. Or try it in the next batch of aioli that you make.
- It adds a lot of zip to marinades.
- Try Ottolenghi's Chermoula Eggplant with bulger and yogurt. It is our favorite way to enjoy eggplant.
- I have used it to top sautéed salmon and trout.
- Add them to roasted potatoes.
- Add it to your favorite basil pesto. The pesto is even better!
- Last night, I made a terrific preserved lemon pasta with anchovies by Martha Stewart.
Mise en Place for Preserved Lemon and Anchovy Pasta
I would love to hear your ideas for using preserved lemons in the comments below. I think the possibilities are endless.
Other Realtor Ray Tested Tasty Recipes
- Scalloped Potatoes with Fennel (Family Favorite)
- Burnt Eggplant
- Homemade Hummus
- Peanut Brittle
- Apple Butter
- Stuffed Cornish Game Hens (Family Favorite)
- Bacon Wrapped Dogs (Everyone's Favorite!)
- Jerusalem Artichoke and Arugula Soup
- The Golden Cadillac
- The Best Fruitcake Ever
- Garlic Confit (Family Favorite)
- Chicken Piccatta
- Rotel and Velveeta Cheese Dip