What's NOT to love about Door County, Wisconsin?
Ahh, February. The month of romance. ❤️
Door County, Wisconsin, is very well known as a destination wedding location, and the place of tens of thousands of proposals. And why not? This little peninsula jutting into Green Bay and Lake Michigan is the stuff that dreams are made of! And I consider myself an expert---I've sold many Inns throughout Door County where engagements take place, honeymoons are celebrated and SO much more. So I consider myself a little bit of an expert in the Door County romance department!
If I write about the wildly beautiful area that I call home, I can't just concentrate on Sister Bay (the village where I currently reside, after living in Liberty Grove on and off for a good portion of my life). I need to focus on ALL of the areas I love in Door County, and the places where love is celebrated from engagements through diamond anniversaries. I started out with a featured photo of Northport/Gills Rock: the place where the Washington Island Ferry Line will take you to Washington Island....where you'll pass several other islands and lighthouses (how romantic is that)? So in honor of this month of the heart holiday, let me relay some of the places that I feel are the most romantic you may find in Door County, Wisconsin.
1. Gills Rock/Northport: Yes, that lovely photo is the iconic Northport Ferry Dock where many a ring has been presented with the beautiful islands as a backdrop. However, there are a few off-the-beaten path areas that you will also find in this area that just beg for you to get down on one knee. Romantic areas in Gills Rock/Northport include the town park of N. Portes des Mortes Road, Isle View Park, Newport State Park and especially Europe Lake.
Beautiful Europe Lake Facing Newport State Park
2. Ellison Bay: Ellison Bay brings a WEALTH of romantic opportunities. First and foremost, I should mention Ellison Bay Bluff Park off of Porcupine Bay. This park has an overlook for watching sunsets, and this is one of Door County's PRIME locations for romance. In fact, our son proposed to his future wife while she sat at the lookout and the rest of us were sitting out on a fishing boat holding up a "Will You Marry Me?" sign (true story). But that's not the ONLY romantic place in Ellison Bay. Wills Park, next to the Ellison Bay marina, is truly ideal for sunsets, as is the Ellison Bay Beach. And in terms of romantic dining, you can't beat Ellison Bay's Wickman House (a recent James Beard nominee at the time of this writing). Alas--they are already full for Valentine's Day weekend, but you can book for next year!
After dinner, you can walk to the water in Ellison Bay to catch a sunset
3. Sister Bay: I love 🥰 Sister Bay. This is the year-round village where you can walk to most everything and where music plays in the streets from late April through October. Sister Bay has Northern Haus, a stately Door County wedding barn on expansive acreage, and many other venues that will provide the perfect backdrop for a wedding, including Thyme (one of the area's premier caterers) and Twelve Eleven. However, I believe that MANY a romantic proposal has been made at any of Sister Bay's incredible venues for food or drink, as well as the Sister Bay Beach and Sister Bay Marina. Looking for a Sister Bay honeymoon spot? You can't beat Roots Inn & Kitchen, the Sister Bay Inn or the Dorr Hotel!
This historic Sister Bay B & B/inn became Roots Inn & Kitchen with new owners in 2016 (see the site above for current photos!)
4. Ephraim: Ephraim is one of the cutest, quaintest villages in the State of Wisconsin. With a carefully preserved downtown Historic District, you can grab some ice cream at Wilson's and stroll down the clean, beautiful streets along the water. Ephraim is also home to the Ephraim entrace to Peninsula State Park, which is not only well-known for proposals (there are many scenic water-view sites in the park), but it's also an incredible place to host a wedding.
5. Fish Creek: Another year-round Village, Fish Creek is home to many scenic vistas (and the other entrance to Peninsula State Park), great food and drink and lots of extensive shopping. If you're looking for a special ring for your beloved, you can check out the Fish Creek branch of Rummele's Jewelers (open May-October) or the beautiful Trilliant Diamonds. And, of course, no actual Valentine's Day celebration would be complete without delicious chocolate--you can get delicous chocolates that taste as good as they look at Fish Creek's Top of the Hill shops at DC Chocolate Designs (one of my absolute favorites).
6. Baileys Harbor: Baileys Harbor is home to one of Door County's most pristine places--The Ridges Sanctuary. Whether you are looking to propose on a beach (The Ridges has one) or in a pristine wooded setting, a visit to The Ridges is a year-round opportunity to make any engagement or any VISIT to Door County memorable.
7. Door County Romance 💕: Of course, there are dozens of other places that are truly romantic in Door County and well worth a visit for romantic dining, prime shopping, snuggling, a weekend away or, of course, Valentine's Day. Many of our year-round inns and restaurants offer special promotions to make this day of romance very memorable. And Door County is truly lovely year-round---imagine a proposal in autumn, when Door County is full of color, or in spring--when it is full of blooming cherry blossoms. Or a romantic walk overlooking the water at Whitefish Dunes or Cave Point--the possibilities for romance in Door County are endless! You WILL fall in love with Door County, Wisconsin.
My job, however, isn't to make you fall in love--my job is to make you fall in love with Door County! I've been turning visitors and vacationers into Door County residents for over 19 years. When you are ready to make Door County a permanent part of your life, please contact me and view all Door County MLS-listed properties for sale online at moredoorcounty.com today.
What's NOT to love about Door County, Wisconsin?
Subscribe to CommentsComment