What if I can't be there?

Real Estate Agent with Atlanta Communities 303302

Exciting times! The home is under contract and you as the buyer/Seller just found out you can't be there at the closing. What do you do?

This comes up fairly often. One way to solve this challenge is for the seller/Buyer to enlist a friend or relative to "Stand in" for them at the closing table. This will require an official document called a limited Power of Attorney. It legally allows someone other than you to sign documents in your absence.

The closing attorney will need to see the Power of Attorney paperwork before the closing to ensure that it covers everything necessary for the stand ion to have the rights required to sign.

I currently have a client that is physically unable to attend the closing on the sale of their home. They also have power of attorney over the spouse. The closing attorneys are making sure everything is in order before this weeks closing. Sometimes the attorney will travel to a location to get signatures if the signer is local, which in this case they are.

If you find that you will not be available for a closing then a Power of Attorney may work for you. Be sure to ask your agent if you think this might be an option for you.

Posted by

Peter den Boer, Associate Broker, Realtor

Atlanta Communities Real estate Brokerage


Ph. 770.713.1545



I write about daily life as a Realtor in the Towne Lake Community in Woodstock Georgia.

Comments (1)

Bill Salvatore - East Valley
Arizona Elite Properties - Chandler, AZ
Realtor - 602-999-0952 / em: golfArizona@cox.net

Enjoyed your blog page, and I added you as a friend. I would love the follow back. Bill

Mar 14, 2023 05:55 AM