Spring Hiking Safety: Southern Utah's Slot Canyons
Springtime means more time outside, hiking, stretching the legs and hitting designated trails at a favorite State or National park. Nature has designed quite a few slot canyons in the Southern Utah area.
Those geological wonders known as slot canyons are a huge hiker's draw because of their swirling rock faces, whimsical turns and twists, that must be traversed by going over, under, around or squeezing through.
Offering incredible views, these ancient, eroded sandstone formations are perfect for photo opps. Slot canyons are created by moving water erosion, forces of nature such as a stream or rivers through adverse weather.
The following are all good examples:
- Pine Creek Gorge Slot Canyon (Hurricane)
- Boundary Technical Slot Canyon
- Red Canyon Slot (Peekaboo Kanab)
- Elkheart Cliffs Slot Canyon Trailhead
- Red Hollow Canyon Trailhead
- Willis Creek Slot Canyon Trailhead (Kane County)
- Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
- Spooky Slot Canyon (Kane County)
- Zebra Slot
Be watchful for gathering clouds. The rule of thumb, when it comes to slot canyons, is to avoid them entirely on overcast days, most especially when a thunderstorm or heavy rain showers in the forecast are predicted.
When setting out to explore:
- Look up local weather forecasts, get updates often
- Double up, never travel into the great outdoors alone
- Stay clear of the unstable banks of streams and rivers
A bright, sunny day can change quickly, creating flash flood scenarios in minutes.
Warn children time and again of inherent dangers, do not assume they know better! Get to higher ground when camping or hiking if you hear or feel something isn't right about your surroundings.
Be Proactive: A bright, sunny day can change quickly, creating flash flood scenarios in minutes. Listen to those instincts while expanding your experience-based danger filter, it will serve you well.
Now get out there in the great outdoors!
p.s. Remember your hat, sunglasses and sunscreen!
Subscribe to CommentsComment