As I begin the arduous task of packing for our move, I am reminded of what my clients go through during a transition. No matter how you slice and dice it, moving is stressful, exhausting, and overwhelming. But, as the old saying goes, "How do you eat an elephant?" "One bite at a time!"
I have moved at least 25+ times in my life. Here are some of my tried and true moving tips. I call them Paula's P's:
- PREPARE for the move. Gather your supplies and keep them in one place. Make sure you have plenty of packing paper, boxes, tape, tape dispensers, and lots of markers.
- PRIORITIZE and pack things together. Label every box for either the room it is going to be in or, generic terms such as dishes or books.
- PACE yourself. If you are like me, you will push until you are to the point of utter exhaustion. Not a good thing! Do what you can and take necessary breaks as often as you need.
- PURGE what you no longer need. Either give it away or throw it away! Don't bring unnecessary items into your new home.
- PAY a professional packer if this is within your budget. And, if it isn't in your budget, decide if there are things you can do without in order to save to pay for one. THIS one thing is a game-changer!
The main thing to remember is to allow yourself to rest. Your body will thank you later. Moving is a great reminder for me as a real estate professional of what my clients are experiencing. Being able to offer them moving tips and emotional support is important. Happy moving day!