Over the past many years, I have had to increasingly address a primary business concern: lack of direction and cohesion in a business direction. With each passing year, there is a greater need to build a team that works together. Yet, businesses fail to realize that and worse, they believe they have a cohesive team.
My experience dictates that there are five basic/essential ways to build a team that is cohesive and effective.
1. Communication. Sounds simple and basic but it isn't - especially with remote work. A TEAM must communicate with each other AND management. They must be open and honest with each other and management. They must be mindful to avoid hurtful communication.
2. Goals are critical but if they are not shared, what good are they? many business leaders and owners have a vision but they fail to communicate it to the team. The staff also develops goals and they need to communicate them to the management.
3. Competent Resources. It goes without saying that any vision and team require the resources to implement and develop the vision and goals. Accordingly, it is imperative to establish REALISTIC goals.
4. Team Approach to Problem Solving. An organization requires multiple people to solve problems. Sometimes a complete team approach fails because there are TOO many people involved in the process and consequently, decisions never are made. Accordingly, it is imperative a for a team to be able to complete a consensus approach to problem solving - while respecting every members input.
5. Develop Trust & Positive Atmosphere. Most teams will have varying degrees of experience, background, vision and goals. Accordingly, it can be difficult to maintain a positive attitude and trust. However boh of these attributes are essential.