Florida’s Back to School Sales Tax Holiday 2023
What is Florida’s Back To School Sales Tax Holiday?
Florida’s Back to School Sales Tax Holiday 2023 runs from July 24, 2023 through 11:59 August 6, 2023. The sales tax holiday helps give consumers a break on their back to school shopping by charging no sales tax on exempt items. During that time, certain school supplies, technology items and clothing can be purchased tax free.
You can save a fair amount of money on your shopping even if you don’t have children going back to school. In addition to the sales tax savings, many stores are having good sales so the savings can really add up.
What items are eligible?
Generally speaking, no sales tax is due on clothes, shoes, some technology items and most school supplies but there are dollar limits on eligible items so check the list before purchasing.
The following information is from the Florida Department of Revenue.
During the sales tax holiday period, tax is not due on the retail sale of:
- Clothing, footwear, and certain accessories with a sales price of $100 or less per item
- Certain school supplies with a sales price of $50 or less per item,
- Learning aids and jigsaw puzzles with a sales price of $30 or less
- Personal computers and certain computer-related accessories with a sales price of $1,500 or less, when purchased for noncommercial home or personal use
For specific examples of what is exempt and more information, here is a link to their Tax Information Publication.
The sales tax holiday DOES NOT apply to:
- Any item of clothing with a sales price of more than $100
- Any school supply item with a sales price of more than $50
- Books that are not otherwise exempt
- Computers and computer-related accessories with a sales price of more than $1,500
- Computers and computer-related accessories purchased for commercial purposes
- Rentals of any eligible items
- Repairs or alterations of any eligible items
- Sales of any eligible items within a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment or airport
If you have questions, here is a link to their FAQs.