Although Titus (& Philemon) are guinea pigs and not dogs I imagine that chocolate is not good for any pet.
We humans want to share everything good with our fur babies but when it comes to chocolate that is a really bad, even deadly, idea.
I found some very good information on a site called Green Dog Dental. Some tidbits are.
Chocolate is very toxic to dogs and can be harmful to cats, too.
Mild chocolate toxicity can cause vomiting, diarrhea, bloating and restlessness. Mid-level toxicity can cause all of the above PLUS hyperactivity, imbalance and tremors.
The element in chocolate that is toxic to pets is a caffeine-like chemical called theobromine. Theobromine is especially toxic to dogs.
At very high doses, theobromine poisoning can cause seizures, coma and even death in both cats and dogs. These signs usually become apparent six to 12 hours after a pet has ingested chocolate.
A TRIP TO THE VET IS GOOD BET
It is important to remember that your pet still needs medical attention, even if they’ve vomited up all the chocolate. Theobromine has a cumulative effect and takes a long time to clear their system, so you’ll want your vet’s advice and expertise to make sure your pet is ok.
To read the full article and a lot of other good pet information click here.
First time home owners often rush out to get a pet now that they have a yard and no landlord prohibiting them to have one. Sometimes they have no clue about pet health care. Each time my children wanted a pet I (mean Dad) made them get a book from the library and read up on the pet they wanted before we went off to the pet store and got the pet of their choice. This didn't solve all problems but it sure helped.