I saw an article from a person who spoke to one receiving donations from the Food Bank, and here are some eye-opening discoveries -
1. Everyone donates Kraft Mac & Cheese in the box. they can rarely use it because it needs milk and butter which is hard to get from regular food banks.
2. Boxed milk is a treasure, as kids need it for cereal which they also get a lot of.
3. Everyone donates pasta sauce and spaghetti noodles.
4. They cannot eat all the awesome canned veggies and soup unless you put a can opener in too, or buy pop tops.
5. Oil is a luxury but needed for Rice-A-Roni, which they also get a lot of.
6. Spices or sale and pepper would be a real Christmas gift.
7. tea bags and coffee make them feel like you care.
8. sugar and flour are treats.
9. they fawn over fresh produce donated by farmers and grocery stores.
10. Seeds are cool in Spring and summer because growing can be easy for some.
11. they rarely get fresh meat.
12. tuna and crackers make a good lunch.
13. Hamburger Helper goes nowhere without ground beef.
14. They get lots of peanut butter and jelly, but usually not sandwich bread.
15. Butter or margarine is nice too.
16. Eggs are a real commodity.
17. Cake mix and frosting makes it possible to make a child's birthday cake.
18. Dishwashing detergent is very expensive and is always appreciated.
19. Feminine hygiene products are a luxury and women will cry over that.
20. Everyone loves Stove Top Stuffing.
I know many of these things I would not have thought through, and good to hear!