Special offer

Public Utilities and Your Danbury ,CT Home Search

Real Estate Agent with William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty CT RES.0783448

Danbury, CT is a very interesting place when it comes to real estate. In the past, I have had clients request to only tour homes serviced with public water and public sewer.  Even with their fairly good sized budget, it severally limited the number of homes available that we could look at. They also told me which parts of town they would like or not want to be as well.

Generally speaking, please consider the following:

-All townhome/condos in Danbury are required to be serviced by public water & sewer.
-Almost all properties in city center will be serviced by public water & sewer.

-Almost all homes up by Richter Golf Course will be serviced by private septic & well.

-Almost all homes over by Candlewood Lake will be serviced by private septic & well. There are some communities which have private water systems or town water

-There are some areas where you might have public water but your own septic system (for example off Old Ridgebury Road and Driftway) or others where you might have public sewer but your own private well (near Danbury HS and a limited portion of Aunt Hack). 

-Natural gas service is available everywhere through out the town either. If you need want or need gas for example for a heated pool, generator or cook top/stove, owners for single family homes can contract with a gas company to either own or lease a tank.

Sewer assessments are another topic for another post. This means enough people in the neighborhood voted to have sewers come in, the town has done their studies and will run the piping to the neighborhood. Then town will charge you for the benefit plus if desired, you will have to hire a contractor to tie the piping from your home into the street & de-commission your current septic system. 

Also consider the following. When buying or selling a home, it is common place to do a septic system (if the house has one) and test the private well for quality and yield. A contingency is included in my clients offer for these tests. If the home is serviced by public sewer, you can also do a sewer scope test. Talk to your home inspector about these tests.

Please contact the city health department or public works to verify water/sewer use as well as any possible future service or assessments for such services. 

Post last updated 4/15/2024

Posted by

Jonathan Hall-Realtor Serving Greater Danbury & Candlewood Lake with William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty
Search Local Listings
Explore Danbury Condos
203-417-0523 (Cell)
Local Expertise you can count on




This information is provided by Jonathan Hall,Realtor  with William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty in the Greater Danbury & Candlewood Region of CT. For additional information, please call him at 203-417-0523,203-796-7700X305 or email me at danburyrealestate@gmail.com . Unless indicated, all content is the property of Jonathan Hall. If you would like to use any of this information, please contact me for permission. He is a licensed CT Salesperson License #RES.0783448 with William Pitt Real Estate LLC License # REB.0751698. His office is located at 112 Federal Road,Danbury CT 06811.

George Souto
George Souto NMLS #65149 FHA, CHFA, VA Mortgages - Middletown, CT
Your Connecticut Mortgage Expert

Jonathan Hall public water and sewer would also be fairly high on my list.

Apr 16, 2024 01:55 PM