Three years ago I graduated from Feng Shui training as a certified practitioner. My own home-and those of understanding friends and real estate clients- became laboratories for element and furnishing rearrangements. Entire bookshelves in my home accumulated the Feng Shui works of Lillian Too, Kartar Diamond, Karen Kingston, Jon Robertson, Suzan Hilton and other wise teachers.
I have never charged for a consultation in our San Diego real estate practice, and never offer advice unless it is requested. Besides, a talented stager such as Craig Schiller will have much more to offer than I. And even if one is skeptical about Feng Shui, most would not disagree with the basic concepts. And paramount among those concepts is SPACE CLEARING.
The most important thing one can do to enhance the chi or energy in a home is to clear the space and declutter. And....
What are the top nine reasons for space clearing?:
1. Save time. How much time is lost looking for items lost in clutter? How much time is lost in cleaning and shaking dust from from stuff? How much time is lost to disorganization?
2. Feel better about yourself. Clear the clutter and you'll automatically feel better about yourself and no longer feel ashamed when unexpected visitors stop by.
3. Have more energy. Clutter and junk can exhaust you. The stagnant energy that accumulates around disarray can also drain human energy by holding one to the past and blocking new abundance.
4. Lose weight. Can clutter affect your weight? Guru Karen Kingston thinks so. She believes that both body fat and clutter are forms of self-protection. Many of her clients miraculously lose weight when they let go of their junk. Interesting!
5. Improve your health. Kingston claims that cluttery types may suffer from various forms of congestion including dull complections and eyes as well as constipation.
6. Grow your wealth. How can new abundance come into your life, when there is no room for it? Have you ever noticed how quickly an empty closet fills? Clear the junk and make room for new abundance. I have seen this work in my own life.
7. Clear your brain and unfog your thinking. Clutter confuses and dirt distracts. There is nothing like a clean room and clear brain to foster good choices and decisions.
8. Attract admirers. Like attracts like. I have seen cleared and cleaned homes bring higher purchase offers because the buyers amired not only the home, but respected the seller as well. I have also seen cluttered and messy homes attract the vultures.
9. Have a more adventurous life! Travel lightly. Clutter-bearers pack heavy suitcases and weigh down trucks when they move. As a result, they probably travel less and move less often. It is a form of entrapment-and often forces people to purchase or remain in larger homes that will accommodate their "stuff:" and clutter.