What is a buyers agent and what do they do?
A Buyers Agent is a realtor who is working for the buyer. The agent is trying to get the buyer the best price for the house with the best terms. The Buyers Agent does research that helps get the buyer these things. Here's an outline of the advantages of working with a Buyers Agent:
1. Loyalty - That agent is working for YOU. If the house is overpriced, the agent will show you comparables that support the correct price. The listig agent of the house is working for the SELLER and will not give you information that might help you get a better deal. The Buyers Agent is not trying to push you into buying a particular house.
2. Liability - The Buyers Agent will explain to you what items are the sellers responsibility and what items are the buyers responsibility to verify (lot lines for example).
3. Inspections - This goes back to the listing agent working for the seller...the listing agent will not recommend an inspection because it is to the seller's advantage not to have one. If the buyer does request an inspection and something comes up, the listing agent is not going to negociate very hard for repairs on behalf of the buyer.
4. It makes things easier - The Buyers Agent can set up all the showings, contact the other agents for permission to show, and let you in every house you want to see. Often the Buyers Agent will have knowledge of the property and might know something that is not being disclosed by the seller. Also, if you work with one agent, that agent knows you and knows what you are looking for and can get you to your "dream" property before any other buyers.
5. It doesn't cost anything! - The Buyer's Agent receives reimbursement for services from the listing agent and there's no additional cost to you. If you can get all these benefits at no charge, it's an easy decision.
Before I was a realtor, I bought a house through the listing agent and nothing was to my benefit. I was a first-time home buyer and was severly taken advantage of by the listing agent. Please align yourself with a buyers agent before looking at houses!
Check out my website at www.tinabann.com. I work with a lot of buyers and have several testimonials on my website. Looking at houses should also be fun and I make it fun for you while I'm digging in my heels during the negociation process.