I'd heard of the Meme's before. Carole Cohen told me about them when I wondered what they were. But I was having too much fun in the Rain and no more Memes seemed to be taking place. Well, this morning, my AR pal Sarah Cooper posted her Meme as she'd been tagged. I learned a lot about her! She then tagged Angela Wagner , Elena Thurston and myself. So here I am dutifully (desperately) trying to come up with 5 things about me which won't put you to sleep. Here, take a shot of caffeine-laden espresso (not Postum!) before you start....
1. B.R. (Before Real Estate) I had one job I loved. I worked with midwives for 6 years! I worked at a private practice in New York City. I learned so much about being a woman and the wondrous miracle of childbirth. I loved my job! And I loved 3 midwives in particular...Sandy Woods, CNM, Nancy Kraus, CNM and Anna Porizkova, CNM (before you ask...yes, she's her Mom and I met her. She had her second child with us while I worked there. She's a lovely person). I was so impressed by their calling in life that I almost became a certified labor instructor. I saw the care, diligence and respect with which they handled their clients (midwives do not call them patients). I eagerly awaited the retelling of many birthtales...each one was a miracle. I could almost hear their wings rustling as these angels walked by.
2. Most people know I speak Spanish fluently. I better! I was born in Cuba to Cuban parents. But very few people are aware that I speak some Albanian. Not enough to shoot the breeze, mind you, just enough to greet folks, ask if they want coffee, ask about their families and where the bathroom is! Albanians especially get a kick out of it as they say I have perfect pronunciation. I guess speaking Spanish helped with that. I make a mean Turkish coffee too!
3. I am a stickler for rules most of the time. Sorry, I can't help it. There are times when I insist on playing by the rules. For instance, playing a new board game I must read the instructions fully before starting. Or when driving, if someone asks to be let in I smile and acquiesce, but if they try to bully their way in there's NO way they're getting in front of me. I can just hear the psychologists making their diagnoses.... There's a lot to be said for asking nicely.
4. I got my name on an album cover once. Yes, I just dated myself by saying "album" and not "CD." When I was about 19 I accompanied a co-worker to a photo-shoot for a Spanish salsa orchestra. The make-up artist had cancelled at the last minute. I eagerly took all my cosmetics (who cared that they were for women?...small detail...I would just leave out the colorful stuff) and headed over there without knowing jack about photography make-up. We weren't even in a studio! It was someone's house and the neighborhood kinda scared me. Everything went well until they took a break and started doing coke. I declined it when offered. The band member who had offered it seemed surprised but then congratulated me with apparent admiration and said, "don't ever start." I didn't. I still have the album somewhere in the garage.
5. I ADORED the Bay City Rollers. Yes, I DID! Absolutely loved them. Wore plaid and everything. I still have their albums (probably in the same box as that salsa band). There was not a single Tiger Beat or 16 I missed...ever...while they were still being written about. Leslie McKeown was my favorite (I always did have a thing for white-boys) and I can still remember his birthday to this day. Sa - sa- sa- sa -tur -day niiiiiiiight!
RRRRRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGG!! Wake up! I'm done. oh wait, here's a bonus...I am in love with a certain webcrawler even to this day and have comics of his dating back to '68. I've not checked what a #1 Amazing Spiderman from '62 is going for nowadays. It's gotta be at least 12 grand. Too bad my collection doesn't go back that far.