Asheville is the "hub' of green and sustainable development. Whether in an urban environment, or in the rolling regions beyond Asheville's city limits, buyers and investors and sellers of real property will tell you- "GREEN" is the word here in Western North Carolina's mountains. "We are in a sustainable framework, and we're lovin' it!" Numerous eco-communities are popping up in and around Asheville. This post is the first in a series on those eco-communities. Today I'm taking you on a jaunt (about 20 minutes or so) to Asheville area's Hickory Nut Forest.
Hickory Nut Forest is an evolving "green" community and conservation neighborhood. Honoring the Land, the eco-developers placed just 17 lots here, and they are surrounded on three sides by over 800 acres of conservation land. What a place. From the eco-community, trails lead to those 800 + Acresand to the adjoining 250 acres where community buildings and an organic garden will expand into healthy possibilities.
Natural beauty inspires: You can stand by a waterfall and talk with me, your Eco Certified® Real Estate Consultant , about the 15 or more waterfalls on the Conservation Partner's Lands- or about the trails leading to wildflower meadows and rock-climbing adventure- or about the heirloom apple orchard (seen in photo JT took , above) and the "grape garden"... that is . . .if the noisy Hickory Nut Creek doesn't first beckon you to visit.....and you can "sense" the special energy this Land offers.
Would you choose to visit each one of these "gifts of nature" many, many times ? Possibly the answer is "YES!" ...especially when you consider how much the kids, future grandkids, family and friends are going to love it at Hickory Nut Forest.. "YES!"... views from building site, good solar-orientation... "YES!"... the whole CONTEXT from the perspectives of
- Asheville's lively "green" real estate market
- an opportunity to help create a sustainable eco-community
Now, I said that there are a number of very worthy eco-communities in and around Asheville. So you may wonder why I'm taking you to Hickory Nut Forest first...The reason is CONTEXT.
CONTEXT The Eco-Community & Conservation Land
- Hickory Nut Forest is one of the first ECO developments in the USA to combine wide-ranging land conservation with an eco-friendly community of green-built homes, to be powered by renewable energy -(wind power, hydropower , geothermal) - to create a "net-zero-energy community".
- Living in this conservation neighborhood means enjoying the forever-wild mountain forests, soaring cliffs and pristine, cascading streams, out your back door. You can walk for miles in the serenity of nature.
- This eco-community- is an easy drive from Asheville's, cultural amenities, arts, music and delicious cuisine, as well as excellent healthcare all nearby. (17 miles, 23-27 min.) And just 4 minutes to the CSA. Positive perks for body mind and spirit.
Hiking trails lead conveniently from the building sites into 800+ acresof nature preserve lands with waterfalls, streams, cliffs and mountaintop vistas. And, here to enjoy are tennis courts,(adjacent to Site 1) and close-by- horseback riding, bird watching, fishing, picnicking, boating, over a dozen golf courses in the area, biking, gardening, and community social events.
This is convenience where adventure abounds...
Stay tuned for the next in my series on Asheville's eco-communities and Green communities.
And let me know what you think!
Copyright © 2008 All Rights Reserved Asheville ECO Real Estate: Trends, Legacies & The Home Place Subscribeto Greenolina's "Green Wheels" BLOG and keep those creative wheels a turnin'
WE are IN a sustainable world.