Silent Killer

By
Real Estate Sales Representative with Keller Williams Consultants Realty

Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer.  We all know that.  But recently two young women lost their lives in a very unusual situation involving carbon monoxide poisoning.  One young couple was helping another couple to "fix up" a home they had purchased.  Due to some water problems in the basement and the lack of electricity, they used a gas generator to provide the necessary electricity to remove the unwanted water.  Although all the details are yet unknown, the generator had been working in the lower level over night.  Upon entering the basement, both of the young women were immediately overtaken by the carbon monoxide fumes produced from the generator. Their husbands, working outside, did not immediately find the women who had been rendered unconscious by the fumes.  Both young women lost their lives due to the high concentration of the fumes.  Never ever use a generator in an enclosed space.  Enough said.

Comments (2)

Henry Birchfield
Henry's Drafting and Design Services - Winchester, KY

It's sad to hear the story of carbon monoxide related deaths repeated year after year. As much as these stories are in th news media one would think people would have learned by now, but I guess some folks will never learn.

Jul 31, 2008 11:53 AM
Myrl Jeffcoat
Sacramento, CA
Greater Sacramento Realtor - Retired

It's also important to understand dangerous fumes often have little or no odor to warn potential victims.

Aug 03, 2008 11:26 PM