Real Estate Licence - What you need to do to obtain your License in Quebec

Real Estate Agent with RE/MAX Tremblant

I'm curious, I would like to know what kind of course an person must take to be an agent in the US. Don't worry I'm not coming over to take all your listing, I'm from Quebec, Canada.

Do you need a college degree or High School is the minimum requirement. Is it different from one State to the other or an agent can move to a different State and continue doing real estate? Here we cannot, you need to pass new exams from one province (state) to an other.

For now we are required to have a High School degree but it's going to be a college degree very soon!

For our contrats we need to use the Government document to sale any residential property, being a condo, a cabin or a bungalow. Land and commercial properties don't apply.

Do you have any form that you need to use?


This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
ActiveRain Community
Quebec Les Laurentides Mont Tremblant
RE/MAX Active Rain Bloggers
INTERNATIONAL REAL ESTATE - Become a global agent rather than a local agent
real estate license

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Chris Horton
Horton's Lawn Care L.L.C. - Burton, MI

I'm not sure you even have to have a degree in my state, I know you have to be 18+ though... My fiancee had to take 40 hours of a prelicense class then take the state licensing test after she passed license was in the mail to her broker... It is different state to state though as far as getting the license and keeping it... not sure about transfering it state to state :-\

Aug 29, 2008 06:15 PM #1
Jon Zolsky, Daytona Beach, FL
Daytona Condo Realty, 386-405-4408 - Daytona Beach, FL
Buy Daytona condos for heavenly good prices

You would need to get training and pass the exam in the state, that you plan to operate. No degree yet required, but yes, you have to be 18 and older. Have to get your fingerprints, etc.

Aug 29, 2008 06:23 PM #2
Stephane Vachon
RE/MAX Tremblant - Mont Tremblant, QC

Wow, here in Quebec you need to pass a 250 hour course and pass all 5 exams at the school level with at least 60% for each course, then you need to pass the province (State) exams with a minimum of 70%.

And they're going to double the time to 500 hours very soon!

Aug 29, 2008 06:29 PM #3
Gerard Maher
Coldwell Banker Alfonso Realty - Ocean Springs, MS
CRS Ocean Springs, MS

In California and Mississippi you have to take a few courses and then pass the state exam.

You do have to fill in an application stating your past background. But no degree is needed in either state


Aug 29, 2008 06:46 PM #4
Cameron Novak
The Homefinding Center - Corona, CA
Featured Corona Real Estate Agent Team

Different in different states.  Here you may either have some quick home courses followed by a test, or a certain college degree followed by a test.

Aug 29, 2008 06:56 PM #5
Michael A. Caruso
Surterre Properties - Laguna Niguel, CA

Licensing laws differ in each state.

One important thing is belonging to an Association which creates a code of ethics and standardization.

Look up on the Internet and you'll learn about the National Association of Realtors

Aug 29, 2008 07:00 PM #6
Karen Anne Stone
New Home Hunters of Fort Worth and Tarrant County - Fort Worth, TX
Fort Worth Real Estate

Stephane:  I think each of the fifty states is different... although not by much.  Texas requires seven courses... or 210 classroom hours of courses.  This can be done fairly easily in about six weeks... sooner if you push it.  Then get tested, and you are licensed.  Then... one more course yearly as continuing education.  Best of luck...

Aug 29, 2008 07:36 PM #7
Nannette Turner
Keller Williams Lynchburg - Lynchburg, VA
Online Marketing Home Ownership Advocate Specialis

I may add that several U.S. states have reciprocal arrangements for recognizing and granting licenses to real estate licensees from other states. These reciprocal agreements vary widely from state to state: some have reciprocal agreements with all other states, while others may have agreements with only one or two neighboring states.

Recent amendments require the initial licensure and licensure by reciprocity to include a high school diploma or equivalent; clarifies the disclosures required concerning convictions for criminal activity and limits the disclosure period for misdemeanor convictions to those occurring during the preceding five years.

Salespersons licensed by reciprocity must take the state portion of the salesperson's exam when upgrading to broker's license before renewal.


Aug 29, 2008 10:45 PM #8
Chip Jefferson
Gibbs Realty and Auction Company - Columbia, SC

60 hours with a state exam and a High school diploma is all you need to start. Then 30 Hours more in the first year with 10 hours per year after that. SC

Aug 29, 2008 10:58 PM #9
Evelyn Panning
Property Connections Realty Inc. - Alturas, CA

Each state has it's own requirements.  In California you are given a choice of various courses.  You must be 18 or older.  And, it's a good idea not to be a felon or have bankruptcies in your past.

If you're curious, you can check out the requirements on the California DRE (Department of Real Estate) website at:


Aug 29, 2008 11:12 PM #10
Scott M. Stulich
Signature Realty Group, LLC. - Dundalk Sparrows Point, MD

Hi Stephane,

                I just completed my exam in Maryland. I needed to have a high school diploma just to register for the class. I then needed 60 hrs of class time and to pass the mid-term and final with a 75% or better. After that I got my certificate that allowed me to go take the state and national exam, which you have to pass with a 70%. It does vary from state to state.......hope this helps.

Aug 29, 2008 11:44 PM #11
Michael Setunsky
Woodbridge, VA
Your Commercial Real Estate Link to Northern VA

Stephane, the lasws are different from State-to-State. Go on the Internet and Google "Real Estate Board" or "Real Estate Commission". There you will find the necessary information for obtaining a real estate license.

Aug 30, 2008 02:16 AM #12
Stephane Vachon
RE/MAX Tremblant - Mont Tremblant, QC

It's interesting to see how different from State to State the requirements are to be a Realtor!

Could you imaging meeting the doctor the is going to make a risky operation on you having half the background of you friend's doctor???

Well surely I'm exaggerating a tiny bit, but from my point of view, a Realtor is helping most people in there largest investment of there life, a house, we all need one (mostly!!!). I take as many seminars possible to keep up to date and be knowledgeable. Knowledge is power!

Aug 30, 2008 03:18 PM #13

Hi i reallly need a legidament answere for california to get a real estate license. Do you need a high school diploma at all? the dre said no but wasnt totally accurate about it

Jun 16, 2009 02:32 PM #14
J Moise

Everything always seems more difficult in Quebec than everywhere else. A driver's license is over $100CA annually, to be security guard, it is almost like a PhD, a car tag is another issue, parking...


Florida is 63hrs pre license and 45hrs post license in the next two years, 14 a year hrs thereafter. It is fairly cheap. but test is very hard. high school diploma required.

Dec 28, 2012 06:48 AM #15
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Stephane Vachon

Ask me a question
Spam prevention

Additional Information