Fort Rucker and Enterprise Alabama
Local guide for the 2008 Hurricane Season
Fort Rucker Hurricane Evacuation Plan is part 3 in a series. The series has highlighted all the necessary information you will need to know in the event of Hurricane or Tropical Storm. Part 1 - Are you prepared for the 2008 Hurricane season has a complete checklist of items you should have on hand. To make the preparation easy and simple for the military families stationed on Ft Rucker, the items you will need in your Hurricane Locker are referenced by the aisle number at the Ft Rucker Commissary. Part 2- Not Prepared, is a reminder that at anytime weather can take a turn for the worse. Take 30 minutes of your time to adequately prepare and plan for the Hurricane and Tropical Storm Season.
Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) has taken steps to ensure the safety of all residents of Alabama and neighboring states (Florida, Mississippi) during a time of sever Hurricanes and tropical storms evacuation. Evacuations from the southern region might be necessary if hurricane moves in from the Gulf waters.
Alabama Department of Transportation has developed the I-65 Lane Reversal Evacuation Plan to aid in moving motorist from the Southern Region of the United States. In the time of a Hurricane Evacuation, the I-65 southbound lanes will be reversed so that all lanes will allow motorist to travel north.
VIEW THE ALABAMA HURRICANE EVACUATION GUIDE FOR MORE DETAILS
I-65 Lane Reversal Facts:
* Southbound lanes will become northbound beginning in Baldwin County between the
Delta River Bridges and Highway 225 interchange (Exit 31).
* Reversal Lane will end south of Montgomery. Traffic will be temporarily diverted onto U.S. 31 North. Law enforcement and ALDOT personnel will direct traffic back onto the normal northbound lanes of I-65 at various locations in the Montgomery area.
* Law enforcement and ALDOT personnel will be posted at each exit.
* Along I-65 and U.S. 31 there will be electronic signs to display travel information. In addition, there will be certain signs on I-65 that will flash an ALDOT AM radio station for additional evacuation information.
* Alabama Service Assistance Patrol (ASAP) and law enforcement will be available on I-65 for assistance.
FROM HOUSTON COUNTY:
NORTH 231 TO MONTGOMERY OR NORTH 431 TO AUBURN/OPELIKA
FROM FORT RUCKER:
ANDREWS AVE. OUT OZARK GATE. PROCEED TO OZARK TAKE A LEFT ON NORTH 231 TO MONTGOMERY
FROM COFFEE COUNTY:
IN ENTERPRISE - TAKE 167 NORTH TO TROY CONTINUE ONTO NORTH 231 TO MONTGOMERY
IN ELBA - TAKE 87 NORTH TO TROY CONTINUE ONTO NORTH 231 TO MONTGOMERY
VIEW ALABAMA HURRICANE EVACUATION ROUTES FOR MORE ROUTES
VIEW A COMPLETE MAP OF ALABAMA HURRICANE EVACUATION MAP
*Assemble a disaster supplies kit.
*Important documents (i.e.: insurance and medical) should be placed in waterproof containers.
*Map you route. Know your evacuation route for the Fort Rucker / Enterprise area.
*During an evacuation be prepared to drive inland as far as necessary to a safe region.
*Locate shelters or hotels prior to evacuation.
*Secure your home to help reduce damage.
*Remember your pets.
*Bring extra cash, due to power outage, ATMS may not function.
*Fill your vehicle with gas and ensure the car is properly serviced.
*NEVER DRIVE THROUGH WATER.
Read other posts in the Hurricane Season 2008 series:
Michelle Tucker - Realty World SHAP
Relocation Specialist for the Fort Rucker Area