In Florida anyone may claim to be a home inspector. It's a frightening situation.
Your are best to hire an individual who:
1. Can demonstrate their education and experience.
2. Is an engineer with years of experience.
3. Is fully insured for General Liability, Errors and Ommissions, and is bonded.
4. Is a member of A.S.H.I. (American Society of Home Inspectors) Only competent individuals can gain membership and there are annual continuing education requirements. If a person claims to be a "certified" member of some other group, and is not a member of ASHI, look away.
5. A good inspection of a 2500 sq.ft. home takes at least 2.5 hours and should include a fully detailed written report and should cost about $400.00
6. Extra fees apply for Pools, larger homes, Termite, Mold, Radon, etc...