Participants who join the meeting via VoIP need speakers or headphones to hear the GoToMeeting session and a microphone if you want them to speak.
When using VoIP for your meeting, audio quality can vary based on your audio software/hardware manufacturer as well as your operating system.
Listed in order from best quality to poor quality
USB headset connected to your computer
Headphones and USB microphone connected to your computer
Analog headset connected to your computer
Headphones and analog microphone connected to your computer
External speakers and USB microphone
External speakers and analog microphone
Laptop built-in microphone and speakers
External speakers and USB Webcam microphone
Avoiding Call Echo
- A USB headset is recommended
- Built-in or external speakers can cause echo. We recommend reducing the speaker volume to a low level.
- Webcams with microphones can pick up additional noise and cause echo. Using a Webcam for your audio is not recommended.
- Laptops with built-in microphones: Built-in microphones can pick up noise and cause echo. Using a built-in microphone for your audio is not recommended.
- Echo from an attendee: If you suspect echo from an attendee, check who is talking at the bottom of the Audio pane and mute that attendee or ask the attendee to lower his or her speaker volume.
- Reduce background noise
Avoiding Background Noise
- A meeting is best presented from a quiet location.
- If using a microphone, move the microphone closer to your voice and away from competing sounds (i.e., computer fans).
- Avoid moving or touching the microphone during your meeting.
- A good quality headset is recommended. Webcams and built-in microphones can pick up noise and are not recommended.
Dropped Words, Delay, Robotic Sound
Dropped words, delay or robotic sound is often due to poor network performance, lack of memory or high CPU usage.
- Close all applications you are not using for your presentation.
A dial-up Internet connection can cause poor performance. For optimum performance when using VoIP, we recommend a broadband Internet connection.