It's Oktoberfest time again in Addison! The 2008 festivities (the 21st Annual Oktoberfest Celebration in Addison) kick off on Thursday, September 18 and run through Sunday, September 21. There's lots to do and see this year.
Thursday, September 18th:
- German spelling bee championship. Register in the Schloss Addison tent from 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm. The registration table will be located on the right hand of the stage. Participants will be announced at 6:45 pm and must be present in the Schloss Addison tent to participate.
Friday, September 19th:
- The official "tapping of the keg" is Friday at 7:00 p.m. Addison Mayor Joe Chow will tap the first keg of Paulaner from Germany, hopefully without spilling any bier. Maxwell had a silver hammer, but the Mayor will use a wooden mallet to hammer the bronze spout into the keg.
- Yodeling competition! Twenty-five contestants will perform their best yodels for prizes.
Saturday, September 20th:
- The Addison Oktoberfest 5k and 1 Mile Fun Run is on tap (pardon the pun!). Registration begins at 6:30 am, with the 1 mile kid's fun run/walk taking off at 8:00 a.m. and the 5k run/walk/wheelchair race at 8:30 a.m. Put back the calories you've burned off with a beer when Oktoberfest opens at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday. This race supports Wipe Out Kids' Cancer, a nonprofit organization helping fund research, education and treatment for children with cancer.
- A bier barrel rolling relay is scheduled for Saturday, with teams from around the area competing for prizes and a trophy. Registration begins at 2:30 pm on Saturday at the Bowl Stage. Spots are limited, so register early.
- Bier barrel bowling, anyone? Trade your bowling ball for a mini Paulaner keg and bowl on. Registration begins at 4:30 pm on Saturday at the Bowl Stage. Spots are limited, so register early.
Sunday, September 21st:
- Sunday is "dach" day. Dachshunds rule! The short-legged dogs will parade across the main stage at 2:00 p.m. and at 3:00 they will run in Sidewalk Races. The parade is sponsored by the Dallas Dachshund Club and they will have an adoption table next to the main stage if you'd like to take one home. Visit the Addison Texas website for an application and rules for the dog races. Did I mention the costume contest? For the dogs!
There will be a Kids Tent. Entertainment. Weingarten. Bier Tasting. Vendors. Food. Carnival rides and midway games. Paintball. Face painting. And so much more!
So why is Addison's Oktoberfest held in September, you ask? The world-renowned 14-day Munich Oktoberfest celebration ends the first week in October and Addison's event is scheduled to coincide with it.
Location: Addison Circle Park, 4970 Addison Circle Drive, Addison TX 75001
|Thursday||5 p.m. - 11 p.m.|
|Friday||5 p.m. - midnight|
|Saturday||Noon - midnight|
|Sunday||Noon - 6 p.m.|
Admission: Free admission on Thursday night, then $5 for ages 4 & up at the gate. Discount tickets available at Tom Thumb stores.
Free Parking: NW corner of Dallas Parkway & Arapaho Road
For more information on this event, visit the Town of Addison's website.