Having hired over 10 assistants in the past 10 years I'll share some things about who & how to hire.
1) Super important to give a personality profile test. I feel that the best one is the DISC personality profile. This way you have an idea of how compatible they will be with you and the team.
2) Very important to have a good pre-interview on the phone to see how they sound.
3) Always have them send their resume via email as part of your ad for help wanted. This way you can see that they have basic emailing skills.
4) Have anyone that they will work with, conduct the initial interview & listen to the feedback. If you involve your staff in the hiring process, they will take an active role in this person's success or suggest that you not hire them in the first place.
5) Have your coach interview them and listen to their feedback. I've been told not to hire someone. I did based on desperation. The new hire failed. My coach was right! Listen, they know what they are doing!
I'll address maintaining an administrative assistant in a future post.