You need to sell your home. You read the headlines and would have to be dead to not know this is a BUYER'S MARKET!
The good news is that someone has to SELL in order for anyone to BUY! With so many Sellers out there, how can YOU stand out and get the attention of the Buyers???
After years and years of successfully selling homes, here are a few tips I will share:
- PRICE, PRICE, PRICE! Rely on your Realtor to keep you abreast of your competition on a weekly basis. You cannot be overpriced in this market. "Reasonable" is not the word. "Bargain" is much better! Under price your competition if only a few dollars.
- CURB APPEAL! If your grass needs mowing or your trim needs painting, THIS IS A PROBLEM! You must LOOK GOOD from the drive-by Buyer or they will pass you by! Plant flowers and keep out the weeds! Trim the shrubs!
- STAGE YOUR HOME! What you like does not count. What do Buyers like? Hire a stager, or as a GOOD REALTOR to tell you what to do.
- CLEAN THE HOUSE AND THE FRONT PORCH! Nothing turns off buyers worse than someone else's dirt! Clean is the only way to go. Again, ask your Realtor if you need to hire someone to clean.
- ELIMINATE THE CLUTTER! Too much stuff in the closets, the cabinets, and the garage? Pack it away or take it to Goodwill. Again, ask your Realtor if you need to put away more stuff!
- DON'T COOK STRONG OR SPICY FOODS BEFORE SHOWING! Odors, whether food or pets can turn Buyers off. And NO SMOKING!! NONE!
- TURN ON THE LIGHTS! Even in the daylight, a home with a few lamps and lights on says "WELCOME!" Open blinds where there are views. And PLEASE leave on the front porch light!
- KEEP THE THERMOSTAT RIGHT! Nothing worse than a hot house in the summer or a cold house in the winter. You want the buyers to feel so comfortable that they want to stay!
- THINK POSITIVE! And BE NICE! Some buyers can tell when they walk in the door if there your home is overcome with negativity.
- PLEASE DON'T TURN DOWN SHOWINGS! If you are inconvenienced 100 times and then say "not now" to one showing, you might have missed YOUR BUYER! Let's face it, EVERY showing is an inconvenience! You are not doing this for fun, so why gamble on possibly missing the ONE BUYER who will LOVE, LOVE your home?
If you have tried these, PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP! Hire the right Realtor, do your part, and the Buyer will come. If you have any comments, please feel free to leave them.
My next topic will be "Open Houses, are they worth the effort?"