With all the plusses that come with more square footage, the smart buyer will look at the additional costs.
Whether you are buying a home as an investment, or planning on living there a long time, there are many reasons some Buyers choose to buy "small" rather than buying "large" homes.
Most Buyers who choose to buy small do so out of some necessity: The home is closer to work, their buying budget only gets them a small home, etc.
But some buyers who could buy big, still choose to buy small and their reasons are food for thought.
Some of the prevailing things I counsel buyers to consider are:
- Large homes generally have higher utility costs than smaller homes. (Although newer "greener" technology can make a newer home better in that regard than some older homes.)
- It costs a whole lot more to remodel 4-6,000 square feet than it costs to remodel 1000-2000 square feet.
Some of the reasons I hear Buyers give for choosing to buy small:
- Less housework.
- The community/schools are nicer
- "I don't want to pay for space I won't need or use."
- Some older (smaller) homes have more charm than newer larger homes.
- The finish level can be much nicer in a smaller home for the same cost.
- It costs less up front.
If you are planning to buy a home in the Salt Lake City area and want a true agent who will look out for your best interests, make sure you hire an Exclusive Buyers Agent! Make sure you get an Agent on YOUR side of the transaction!
If you have excellent credit and will be buying a $250,000-$750,000 home in the next 30-60 days and would like an agent who will work exclusively for you, call us at (801) 969-8989 or contact us via the link on this page.
©2008 Homebuyer Representation, Inc. "The Real Estate Agents on the Buyer's Side" TM Exclusive Buyers Agents (EBA) - All Rights Reserved
Exclusive Buyer Brokerages do not list homes and never represent Sellers. Their agents represent Buyers ONLY on the Buyer's side of the transaction. They work to get BUYERS the Best Price and Terms when they Buy...
©2008 Homebuyer Representation, Inc. - Salt Lake City, UT
Exclusive Buyers Agents (EBA) - All Rights Reserved