Fire Prevention Week

By
Real Estate Agent with Pavao Real Estate

You don't think it will ever happen to you....until it does.

I will never forget the day my sister was pulled from a burning building. This was almost 20 years ago but still feels like yesterday.

It was her very first apartment, she had only lived there a week. The place has been recently renovated, new paint, new carpet. I'm not sure how she woke in the middle of the night but I'm glad she did. Little did she know the place was burning all around her. the smoke was so thick she couldn't she or hear the smoke detector's sounding off!

When she walked to the front of the house she saw what was going on. The window she was trying to open was stuck from the recent paint. Then a fire fighter saw her hand and rescued her from the building. Minutes later the roof had collapsed right over the bed in which she had been sleeping!

4 years ago...

My husband and I had just gone to bed for the night. I was having a hard time falling asleep, I couldn't breath! I nudged my husband to wake him up when he turned on the light the house was filled with smoke! We were very lucky, my husbands quick thinking contained the electrical fire to an exterior wall until the fire department arrived.

Okay, so you know I'm serious about this. This week is Fire Prevention week. Now is a great time to make sure your smoke and carbon dectectors are working properly. If you haven't changed the battery's recently, get to it. Also, make sure your family knows how to get out in an emergency.

Better be safe than sorry. If you have questions about fire prevention the business office number here in Somerset is 508-646-2810.

Take care,

 

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Location:
Massachusetts Bristol County Somerset
Tags:
fire prevention
somerset

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Ambassador
534,290
Jason Sardi
Auto & Home & Life Insurance throughout North Carolina - Charlotte, NC
Your Agent for Life

Suzanne -  Prevention measures aren't to be taken lightly.  I know I should be more on top of this for my own home.  Thanks for the reminder.

Oct 07, 2008 03:33 AM #1
Rainmaker
157,322
Sandra Cummings
William Raveis Real Estate - Guilford, CT
Real Estate Agent, Guilford Connecticut

Suzanne - ah, the memories. Our first apartment was in a three family home, third floor caught fire. We were lucky and just had smoke and water damage. Thanks for the reminder, I will have to check our smoke detectors.

Oct 07, 2008 03:44 AM #2
Ambassador
1,091,584
Celeste "SALLY" Cheeseman
Liberty Homes - Mililani, HI
(RA) AHWD CRS ePRO OAHU HAWAII REAL ESTATE

Wonderful! You had me checking my stuff!

Oct 07, 2008 04:06 AM #3
Rainmaker
217,380
No Longer Active
Real Estate - Fallon, MT

I see my wife already stopped by...  Yes we were fortunate that no one was injured because of the fire but we did lose quite a bit financially since we were young and didn't realize we needed a renters policy to cover our contents... In addition to fire prevention people may also want to consider fire protection insurance.

Oct 07, 2008 04:22 AM #4
Rainmaker
163,666
Suzanne Sands
Pavao Real Estate - Somerset, MA
Somerset MA Real Estate

Hi Jason,

No they are not so get busy my friend! :)

Hi Sandra,

It can happen to anybody, you never know. At least there are things we can do to try and prevent things from being tragic. :)

Sally,

You go girl!!!!

Dan,

You make a very good point. I had forgotten how financially devastating it can be and like you she didn't have a renters policy. She lost everything. Thanks for that reminder! :)

Oct 07, 2008 05:40 AM #5
Rainmaker
1,317,707
Joan Whitebook
BHG The Masiello Group - Nashua, NH
Consumer Focused Real Estate Services

This is an important reminder.  I just had all of the smoke detectors in my home upgraded.  It is so important and often we take things for granted. 

Oct 07, 2008 07:47 AM #6
Ambassador
772,051
The Somers Team
The Somers Team at KW Philadelphia - Philadelphia, PA
Delivering Real Estate Happiness

Suzanne,

That is  great reminder !  Wow, sorry those situations happen.  Just goes to show you that it can happen anywhere, anytime.  You are right - always better to be safe, than sorry !  ~ Chris

Oct 07, 2008 11:53 AM #7
Rainmaker
317,819
Monika McGillicuddy
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Verani Realty - Hampstead, NH
Southern NH & the Seacoast Area

Thanks so much for the reminder Suzanne.  We always change our batteries when we change our clocks. Twice a year without fail.

Oct 07, 2008 11:55 AM #8
Rainmaker
163,666
Suzanne Sands
Pavao Real Estate - Somerset, MA
Somerset MA Real Estate

Hi Chris,

You never know, safety first always! :)

Hi Monika!!

Thats a great way to remember, its almost time to set the clocks back. :)

Oct 07, 2008 12:06 PM #9
Rainmaker
290,574
Kathleen Lordbock
Keller Williams Realty Professionals - Baxter, MN
Keller Williams Realty Professionals

I just bought some new detectors & Carbon monoxide ones as well.  They are not out of their containers yet tho, so thanks for the KICK.

Oct 07, 2008 03:37 PM #10
Ambassador
4,167,510
Jeff Dowler, CRS
eXp Realty of California - Carlsbad, CA
The Southern California Relocation Dude

Suzanne - not enough can be said about this issue. The damage, and the lives lost, from fires is staggerring, and som many folks are simply not prepared or even thinking about the possibility. I wrote about this as well in my own community. Do glad to hear your own personal experiences with fire were not tragic.

Jeff

Oct 07, 2008 06:17 PM #11
Rainmaker
1,069,666
Bill Gassett
RE/MAX Executive Realty - Hopkinton, MA
Metrowest Massachusetts Real Estate

Yikes Suzanne that must have been very scary. I am sure you will never have smokes and carbon detectors that don't work in your home!

Oct 07, 2008 11:09 PM #12
Rainmaker
2,826,391
Laura Cerrano
Feng Shui Manhattan Long Island - Locust Valley, NY
Certified Feng Shui Expert, Speaker & Researcher

Suzanne, That is frightening......I'm glad you both are safe!  Sure is a good reminder for me, I've just had renovations done at my home and will check my fire detectors and extinguisher when I get home.

Oct 08, 2008 01:25 AM #13
Rainmaker
163,666
Suzanne Sands
Pavao Real Estate - Somerset, MA
Somerset MA Real Estate

Hi Joan,

Thats another good point, many have not updated their smoke detectors. Now would be a great time to make sure their up to code! Thanks :)

Hi Kathleen,

They don't work in the box my friend! Get busy! :)

Hi Jeff,

Its an important topic. Many don't think about it until something happens, hopefully we can spread the more awareness. :)

Hi Bill,

My hubby is on top of this! :)

Hi Carole,

Now is a great time to make sure their updated. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Oct 08, 2008 01:40 AM #14
Ambassador
605,460
Lizette Fitzpatrick
Lizette Realty - Richmond KY - Lexington, KY
Lizette Realty, Lexington KY MLS - Kentucky Homes

Wow! that would be a very scary situation. Fires terrify me. Especially in the kitchen. I start to panic when a pan or toaster catches fire.

Oct 10, 2008 02:32 PM #15
Rainmaker
544,684
Shirley Parks
Sands Realty 210-414-0966 - San Antonio, TX
Broker, 210-414-0966, San Antonio TX Real Estate

omg, Suzanne... I am glad your sister was able to escape the fire and also that the fire at your place was contained quickly...  "the smoke was so thick she couldn't hear the alarm"... I was surprised to read that.  Does thick smoke inhibit sound?

Oct 19, 2008 05:30 AM #16
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainmaker
163,666

Suzanne Sands

Somerset MA Real Estate
Ask me a question
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention

Additional Information