All stairways in a home need to these criteria to be acceptable:
1. Headroom must be minimum 6' 8".
2. No flight of stairs may exceed 12 feet in vertical rise.
3. The width of a stairway needs to be at least 36 inches.
4. The maximum height for a riser is 7 3/4 inch, and the minimum tread depth allowed is 9 inches.
5. Handrails must be present if four or more steps.
6. For stairways with six or more steps, a light must be provided with a switch at the top and bottom.
7. A landing must be provided at top and bottom or at least 36 inches in the direction of travel.