Mark your calendar for Saturday, October 25, 2008-- America Recycles Day'08. I have long been a supporter of community programs designed to reduce landfill waste, so I encourage you to find a location where you can dispose of the items listed below.
If you are in Northern Virginia, there will be a center at Herndon High School, 700 Bennett Drive, Herndon, VA 20170. This location should be convenient for both Western Fairfax County and Eastern Loudoun County residents.
The event will run from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm. It is sponsored by the Fairfax County Solid Waste Management Program in partnership with the Town of Herndon, Fairfax County Public Schools, Herndon H.S. SAGA Club, Covanta Energy, Inc. Service Source, Safeguard Shredding, Bikes for the World, Art for Humanity and The RBRC.
The items that will be accepted are:
- Baby Strollers
- Bicycles (with a $10 donation to cover shipping costs)
- Cell Phones
- Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (broken bulbs will be accepted if wrapped in plastic)
- Computers and Peripheral Devices
- Gently worn shoes,
- Clean, working Microwaves
- Rechargeable Batteries (no automobile batteries!)
- Clean Bedsheets, Pillowcases and Towels
- Documents for Shredding (no more than 5 boxes per household)
- Working Window AC Units
- Working Sewing Machines
I know that I have a collection of rechargeable batteries we use in cameras (after a while they stop holding the charge) that I knew I could not throw out, but did not know how to get rid of them...here is my answer.
You can find out more information about this event at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/recycling or by calling 703-324-5052.