With Halloween around the corner and little kids and big kids wanting to go out and trick or treat and dress up in fantasy costumes, I'd like to show you this picture done by a child. It bowled me over when it was done. (I'm a former art teacher.)
It was great for these reasons, at least in my opinion.
- Kids love two story houses and this one is two story.
- Kids have noticed that bricks and cracks show through the stucco on spooky houses and this one depicts them in full color.
- Blue clouds swirl around in the black sky.
- Green trees are present in the black night.
- Upstairs there is a spooky figure in a room that is lighted. In fact there are two or three figures upstairs at the windows....truly a spook-filled house!
- Downstairs there is a scared-to-death figure calling for help.
- A witch on a broom is flying in the black night.
- A ghost, evidently friendly, with a smile on its face in present.
- Bats are flying around in the sky and bats are always spooky.
- Smoke is coming out of the chimney...and the chimney is leaning....a true kid-type drawing.
- And finally, there is a small ghost calling for "DAD."
It was made was with crayons and then a wash of ink was put on top so that the dark night was made. If you want to have fun with kids try this method and let them draw a Halloween picture.
P. S. I could be a little biased because this was done by my son years and years ago. I always told my kids that if the teacher gave them a color-book picture to fill in they could just turn it over and put their own original art work on the back.