Special offer

DR. PHILLIPS, ORLANDO, FLORIDA

By
Real Estate Broker/Owner with Absolut Realty and Property Management

This upscale area of Orlando takes its name from Dr Philip Phillips, a citrus industry pioneer who once owned thousands of acres of orange groves. One of his biggest groves extended from present-day Conroy Road on the north to the south end of the Sand Lake Chain, encompassing all of what is now Bay Hill, Orange Tree, Sand Lake Hills and Turkey Lake Park.
Philip Phillips was born in Tennessee in 1874 to a French merchant Henri Philippe and his wife Isabelle. He spent his early years in his native state and later went to medical school in New York. His spirit of adventure and entrepreneurship however made him take the decision to venture South and forgo medical practice.
With $5000 from his father he made his way to Florida and purchased his first citrus grove. In the early 1890s a devastating freeze killed acres of trees and forced the young doctor to go back home to Tennessee.  He continued to investigate the possibilities of the new citrus industry and bought small groves during his brief visits to Florida.
In 1902 he moved South once more and settled in Orlando in 1905 where he bought large groves. He was responsible for several key innovations in the processing and packaging of orange juice. In 1928 he constructed the world's biggest fruit-packing house in the area that is now the upscale subdivision of Phillips Landing. He sold his groves to Minute Maid in 1954. His home has been moved and relocated on Lucerne Ave in Downtown Orlando. The Dr Phillips Foundation continues the philanthropic legacy of Dr. Phillips.

The vast area that was once covered with orange groves is now the Dr. Phillips locale with many chic and exclusive addresses.  
According to the US census, Dr Phillips is covered by 29.9 percent water, that's a lot of Lakefront Homes and a Boater paradise!

By:
Oliver Overton-Morgan
Devinee Peraza
Absolut Realty Inc
www.absolutrealty4u.com