Hey, I have a friend who just asked how come he has to be a member of NAR. When I said his board requred it is said that was his point. Why?
Without spending a whole lot of time, here are some initial thoughts:
- NAR is the biggest lobbyist for Real Estate Professionals around.
- Federal, State and Local laws have more effect on real estate and property ownership than anything else.
- NAR promotes REALTORS thought many advertising media.
- Most MLS's adhere to a set of rules created and mantained by NAR.
- Without this, cooperation between boarda and MLS's would be impossible.
- NAR has a code of ethics to which any REALTOR can require another to adhere to.
- NAR helps local boards with sertain funding.
- Again, most MLS's require local board and NAR membership for access.
If you are doing residential real estate, Realtor.com is valuable. If you are not doing residential realestate, you probably don't need to be a member of your local board. You may still want to join NAR just for REALTOR status. Maybe not.
In a nut shell!
When I have time, I'll revisit this and write something a little more eloquent.
Subscribe to CommentsComment