Recently a dryer fire was reported in Boynton Beach. The home on Chrysanthemum drive was a total loss. Mrs. Pittman, an animal trainer was able to save her dogs, but sadly four cats died in the fire. The day before, Gena Brown of Lexington, MA lost her life to a house fire that was caused by lint build up. The heroic mother managed to save her two daughters but sadly she perished in the fire.
Unfortunately, this happens more often than you think. The US Fire Administration reports there are 15,600 dryer fires annually resulting in 15 deaths and almost $100 million in damages. "FAILURE TO CLEAN" is listed as the main reason by the US Fire Administration. That is why Consumer Product Safety Commission, Underwriter Laboratories and Consumer Reports all recommend inspecting and cleaning your dryer vent once a year.
How does it happen? The lint screen in your dryer only catches a portion of the lint produced by your dryer. The rest of it is expected to be vented outside via the dryer venting system. Over time the lint builds up inside the vent causing the dryer to overheat and eventually catch on fire. Other reasons why it happens include improper installation of the dryer, a venting system not up to code, excessive human or pet hair, a bird nest or an animal in vent, drying fabrics with combustibles on them, etc. That is why an inspection is always needed before a cleaning.
Even if it does not result in a dryer fire, a dirty vent is inefficient and costs more money because the dryer runs longer. Among the ten most important tips to reduce electrical consumption in residential homes, FPL recommends to clean your lint screen regularly and to use a dryer with an automatic cycle. Unfortunately, both tips produce zero savings if the vent is partially or fully clogged! How expensive it can be? It has been calculated that if one dries 6 loads of clothes per week and it takes 2 hours to dry a normal load vs. the normal 45 minutes , the dryer will cost (national average) and extra ~$435/year to run. In Florida however this rate is higher because electricity is more expensive and because if the dryer is in the house, it will heat up the house, causing the AC to run loner.
Therefore, we urge everyone to have their dryer vents inspected by a professional dryer vent cleaning company at least once a year to be sure they are in good working order and are not clogged with lint, human and/or animal hair. The fee for dryer vent cleaning service is very little compared to the cost of repairs and loss of lives as the result of a fire.
Dryer Vent Wizard provides dryer vent cleaning, repair, alteration and installation services for the Palm Beach and Broward counties. Visit http://www.dryerventwizard.com or call 866-498-SAFE (7233)/561-901-3464 to schedule service and learn more about preventing dryer fires.
Contact: Dryer Vent Wizard of Palm Beaches Horatio Chiorean
Phone: 866-498-SAFE (7233) / 561-901-3464
Dryer Vent Wizard is a nationwide company, Dryer Vent Wizard professionally inspects and cleans clothing dryers for homeowners and in commercially-owned buildings. Poorly maintained dryer vents cause fire hazards and cost substantially more to operate. At Dryer Vent Wizard, we take pride that we are helping homeowners and apartment managers prevent dryer vent fires and other dryer vent hazards. At the same time, we are keeping their utility bills down with a semi-annual dryer vent cleaning. We pride ourselves on our quality service and professionalism. Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction. Our services are Cleaning, Repair, Alteration, Installation of dryer vents.