We have projects from morning until night tomorrow...so I'll say it a bit early (except for my friends in India over there)....
I'm a Home Stager in Minnesota, but read an article by the Mayor of Chicago and the North Carolina DPP where they put together some of their Top 10 Earth Day Tips. I thought they were pretty good so wanted to share:
Mayor Daley outlined 10 simple things that everyone in Chicago can do to fulfill the goal of making Chicago "the greenest and most environmentally-friendly city in America." They are:
- Walk, bike or take public transportation to protect air quality
- Disconnect downspouts where appropriate, to reduce flooding
- Make your home energy-efficient
- Clean up your neighborhood
- Plant a tree or garden
- Pick up litter
- Conserve water
- Support local farmer's markets and buy organic produce
- Use and dispose of hazardous chemicals properly
You can read more from this article at:
The other article I liked was at North Carolina's Division of Pollution and Prevention site http://www.p2pays.org/main/athome.asp
|Earth Day Tips for Home|
- Plant a tree that will shade your house as well as reduce the need for air conditioning.
- Participate in your community's recycling program and recycle all you can.
- Combine short car trips, or use a bicycle or walk instead.
- Improve your home's energy efficiency by adding insulation and caulking, and regularly cleaning heating and air conditioning filters.
- Compost yard trimmings and food waste in a backyard compost bin. Don't bag grass clippings - either leave them on the lawn or compost them.
- When buying paint, cleaners or other chemicals, buy only what you need and use what you buy.
- Practice water conservation - install a low flow shower head or make an Earth Day pledge to take shorter showers.
- Use compact fluorescent lights to conserve up to 75 percent of the energy consumed by incandescent bulbs.
- Purchase durable goods and choose products made with recycled materials and with minimal or recyclable packaging.
- Reduce the amount of unwanted junk mail - have your name removed from mailing lists.
If everyone makes a few simple changes in their routines, it ALL helps.
All the best,